Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhdfj2

Reaction score
I just brewed a Bridgeport IPA clone from Austin Homebrew and was considering dry hopping it. My question is what hops should I use? Or should I just follow the directions and not dry hop? I know by dry hopping it won't taste exactly like Bridgeport IPA, but I was wanting to give it a try. The hops used during the boil were; chinook, golding, and cascade. Thanks for all the help.

I would not even consider an making IPA without dry hopping. :D

I like Cascade, Centennial, and Columbus for dry hopping. Chinook is a little pungent. Since your recipe uses cascade and goldings, I would say either or both.

So now how much should I put in there? And should i just toss the pellets in or use a bag? Thanks guys for the help.

Try an ounce for your first go-round. The first beer I dry hopped I split into 2 small carboys, dry hopped one, secondaried the other. I preferred the dry hopped one.

I never use a bag for dry hops, it is easy to rack from over/under them. Sometimes I slip a hop bag over the siphon to not get hop particles into the bottling bucket, but you can get away without if you are careful.

Not to threadjack, but I could also use some suggestions for my pale ale. I have the Midwest Cascade PA in primary with 1oz cascade additions at 60, 15, and 2. Should I dry hop with another 1oz of cascade or is there a different hop that might go well with this.

I like to dry hop with whatever hops I used for the later additions...that way you get to experience the flavor and aroma of that particular hop.

Not to threadjack, but I could also use some suggestions for my pale ale. I have the Midwest Cascade PA in primary with 1oz cascade additions at 60, 15, and 2. Should I dry hop with another 1oz of cascade or is there a different hop that might go well with this.

I would use Cascade for that as well. You will definitely learn all the characteristics of Cascades that way. Bittering, flavor and aroma...

Commercial Description:
Deep golden in color, BridgePort IPA has an assertive and fragrant hop character from the two full pounds of Cascade, Chinook, Goldings, Crystal and Ahtanum hops in every barrel.

I think of BridgePort as one of the most delicate IPAs out there. I get a lot of floral, perfumey, lychee aroma.

I have dryhopped a few times now in the seconday (carboy). I use leaf hops and am tired of leaving about a half gallon behind.

I was thinking about adding a hops bag with hops to the primary after about 10 days, after fermentation is complete. Then after about a week, rack to the carboy for about 10 days without hops then keg. This seems like it would make transfer much easier and efficient.

Would this work

if you just throw the hops into the fermenter will they sink? Isn't it bad for them to sit exposed to the air?

if you just throw the hops into the fermenter will they sink? Isn't it bad for them to sit exposed to the air?

Depends. Leaf or pellet? Leaf will float more. Pellet will sink.

Either way, it'll be fine. You should be doing this in secondary with as little headspace as possible.

I saw something about how people will put a hop bag over the end of their siphon when they are transferring to the keg. Anyone tried this and how well does it work? Thanks

I saw something about how people will put a hop bag over the end of their siphon when they are transferring to the keg. Anyone tried this and how well does it work? Thanks

I've tried it 3 times now and it works fine till the last gallon in the carboy. then the hop bag clogs and the flow stops.

I had to re-start the siphon 3 different times and it kept clogging in the last gallon. This is why i asked the question in post # 13, here is the question i had:

"I have dryhopped a few times now in the seconday (carboy). I use leaf hops and am tired of leaving about a half gallon behind.

I was thinking about adding a hops bag with hops to the primary after about 10 days, after fermentation is complete. Then after about a week, rack to the carboy for about 10 days without hops.....then keg. This seems like it would make transfer much easier and efficient."

Would this work

You can dry hop in the primary, and can use a bag. I can not vouch for whether this is efficient though, as I have never used a bag to dry hop with whole or pellet. I would imagine it would be slightly less effective, but still work.

Back