Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smalltownbrewer

Reaction score
I am currently brewing a kit from The Brewhouse, an IPA, I have recently racked it into my secondary and plan to leave it there for the next 14 days or so. My question is, I would really like to dry hop this brew, but do not live near anywhere that sells hops, I have had to order in the past online, I opened up my freezer and all I could find was 50 grams of Brewers Gold. Has anyone ever used this type for dry hopping? Would there be any point to adding them to my brew, I know they are not known for aroma. Any suggestions?

BG isn't really intended for dry hopping, mainly due to the fact that they have such a pungent kick (and decently high alpha acid units), they are more geared toward early boil additions and/or German recipes. Something along the lines of Columbus, Cascade or Simcoe would be more appropriate for American IPA's. My rule of thumb is don't dry hop for more than 7 days or so, because longer dry hops tend to lead to grassy flavors.

Back