Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJefe

Reaction score
I'll be bottling a batch of NB's Black IPA :rolleyes: soon.

I was just reviewing the recipe and noticed that it said to add the hops 5 days prior to bottling during the 2-4 week secondary. I put them in at the same time I trasferred to the secondary (about 12 days ago), am I going to lose some aroma as a result?

I don't think you'll lose too much aroma, but I would bottle or keg it now. It's dry hopped more than enough at this point.

+1 on what bendbrewer said. If they sit in there more than two weeks you will probably get grassy flavours/amoras from the hops. Not something Iv'e experienced but that is the general rule so I have never gone longer than that. Bottle/keg the next chance you get, at least you get to drink it sooner :)

Agreed. Bottle now. I am sure you're beer is ready. First time I dry hopped I left the hops in the beer far too long and the result wasn't the best. The beer was solid but you could definitely taste the grassy flavor Pommy's talking about.

Now I keg a week earlier when dry hopping to even it out, seems to work great.

Back