Dry hopping schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostyp

Reaction score
IMG_0054.JPG

Just started all grain brewing followed this downloaded recipe , curious about the dry hopping session is this meaning either
1: Dry hop for 14 days then add second hops for a further 7 days , so 21 days in total? Or
2: Dry hop for 14 days and when there is 7 days left add second hops ?
Thankyou.

I don’t dry hop, but the way I would take it is, 14 days before botteling, then 7 days before botteling.

I'm don't know. When a recipe calls for multiple charges of the same hop during dry hopping, typically it's because you will pull the first charge when you add the second to avoid grassy or vegetal flavours from prolonged exposure. 14 days is a long time for a single charge. I'd be inclined to pull the first charge when adding the second.

Also, I can see from your screenshot that you are using the Grainfather app. I find the new version confusing when it comes to hopstands and dry hopping.

I'm don't know. When a recipe calls for multiple charges of the same hop during dry hopping, typically it's because you will pull the first charge when you add the second to avoid grassy or vegetal flavours from prolonged exposure. 14 days is a long time for a single charge. I'd be inclined to pull the first charge when adding the second.

Also, I can see from your screenshot that you are using the Grainfather app. I find the new version confusing when it comes to hopstands and dry hopping.

I’m very new to allgrain only ever done extracts so just trying to follow the recipe as I’m understanding it just the way it’s written I assumed it to be the a 21 day in the fermenter

There have been several studies and articles I read suggesting that dry hopping over 3 days has deminishing returns and over 7 adds nothing good. For hoppy beers (I assume that is the goal, dry hopping and all), I believe the general consensus is to finish fermentation quickly with a strong pitch, dry hop during or right at the end of fermentation and get it in the keg for enjoying as fresh as possible, even doing the dry hopping in the keg sometimes when preferable. I don't think 21 days should be necessary having the beer sit on the cake with hop matter. Start dry hopping when fermentation is 80% complete, finish the dry hopping schedule no longer than 7 days, crash and fine 2 days, keg and carb and enjoy as fresh as possible. But I'm new to this as well and there's more than one way to skin a cat so it's all up to you and you can find what works best your way.

Back