Dry hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiBrew

Under 50 AG Batches
Reaction score
Like an idiot, I added my dry hops addition (loose pellets and leaves) in the secondary without any way of removing them. The beer needs to sit in the secondary for another week. Is it ok to siphon into another carboy, leaving behind the stuff that has settled to the bottom? I need to separate it from the hops as I was told to only dry hop for 7-10 days. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

Are you bottling or Kegging?
Transfer to a bucket with a spigot if you are bottling, be sure when you siphon that you stay off the bottom of the fermenter so you can leave the hop gunk behind.
If you are kegging siphon straight to the keg use the same care when siphoning.

Britinusa said:
Are you bottling or Kegging? Transfer to a bucket with a spigot if you are bottling, be sure when you siphon that you stay off the bottom of the fermenter so you can leave the hop gunk behind. If you are kegging siphon straight to the keg use the same care when siphoning.

I'm bottling - thanks for the info!

Perfectly ok to siphon to another vessel. I'd invest in a paint strainer bag, put it on the end of your siphon, so none of the hop particles get into the siphon and hence the bucket. You can keep it in place with a sanitized rubber band. Also be sure to sanitize the bag, if you chose to do this!

Why do you think your beer needs another week in secondary after a week of dry hopping?

Back