Dry hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unfnole23

Reaction score
So I only have only one carboy and plan to dry hop an Imperial IPA here soon. I figure I can rack from primary to 5 gallon bucket, clean the carboy, then rack back to use it as a secondary. The whole process should take < 5 minutes. Any reservations about this? I heard about oxidation being an issue.

Oxidation is only an issue if you transfer all sloppy. Just don't splash and you'll be fine. Out of curiosity why don't you use the bucket as a primary? Or, use it as a secondary then you only have to transfer once and it would assuage your concerns of oxidation..

Lids, airlocks and gromets are all cheap, and it turns a tool that is a unitasker into something much more vaulable: a place to store more beer and that's pretty cool.

I don't see why you can't dry hop in the primary. Just leave the beer and dry hop 4-5 days before you bottle.

If you only have the one carboy I wouldn't bother racking it. Just dry hop in the primary when fermentation is done and you'll be fine. Just make sure fermentation is done otherwise your aroma will be carried away with the co2.

Leaf for everything is my preference. I think the ground up stuff makes to much of a mess. Plus I like to have them whole so I know where they are.

I've only used pellets. I've heard whole hops absorb too much beer. Pellets can be then filtered out with a hop bag while racking.

I've heard anything dehydrated absorbs liquid whether ground or in whole form. And that greater surface area provides greater oportunity for said phenomenon to happen..

I prefer pellets because they are easier to stuff in a carboy and easier to get out. I don't really notice any better aroma or flavor from leaf hops personally.

Back