Dry Hopping Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HootHootHoot

Reaction score
I am getting ready to make my first IPA and it calls for dry hopping in the secondary.

Is it beneficial to use a straining hop bag for this process? Or will it be better to just put the hops in there?

I am worried about stray hops getting into my final product, and thought maybe a straining bag wouldn't take away from the flavor and solve the issue.

Thanks

I just drop the pellet hops into my primary after the kareusen begins to fall (about a week or so).....I don't do a secondary....when I keg I just attach a nylon grain bag onto the end of my auto siphon with a rubber band

When i dry hop, i just throw em right in. if you are doing whole hop flowers or plugs, throw a hop bag over your siphon. pellets generally disintegrate and go into the trub.

I dry hop in my secondary. But I also run my pellets through a coffee grinder first. Then I just drop the hop dust onto the beer and it settles in to do it's thing.

I just drop the pellet hops into my primary after the kareusen begins to fall (about a week or so).....I don't do a secondary....when I keg I just attach a nylon grain bag onto the end of my auto siphon with a rubber band

+1, though I use a hop sack instead. It collects a pretty good amount. I also dry hop in my primary, just towards the end of the fermentation stage. Introducing hops does add a small amount of O2, so letting the yeast consume it helps. There are some concerns with CO2 "scrubbing" your hop aromas and leaving, but I just counter that with more hops.

I usually just drop the pellets right in the secondary and then rack the beer on top. I find pellets work best for dry hopping. Just cold crash and use gelatin for a few days....good luck.

For those that simply add the hops to the primary - do you typically wash your yeast or throw everything away. I like to re-use my yeast as often as I can - I can imagine that washing would be more indepth with adding pellets to the primary; thoughts?

I use a straining bag to hold the hops (pellets) in a secondary, after a couple tries without one I find it easier. Straining it during the transfer to a keg or bottling bucket just never worked well for me. I either left too much hop matter in the beer, or oxidized it when the straining bag clogged or stuck to the autosiphon.

For those that simply add the hops to the primary - do you typically wash your yeast or throw everything away. I like to re-use my yeast as often as I can - I can imagine that washing would be more indepth with adding pellets to the primary; thoughts?

I dry hop in the secondary and reuse the yeast from the primary. It is way to messy otherwise.

Back