Dry Hopping Long Term

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKelly

Reaction score
I've had a barleywine fermenting for about 2 months now (a month primary, a month secondary) and want to give it another month before bottling. I want to dry hop it but am not sure when the best time to do that is. I've heard leaving hops in for too long can create some grassy flavors, so I'd like to avoid that. So essentially my question is: should I dry hop now and remove hops after a week or two, or should I dry hop in a couple weeks and just go straight to bottling without removing them?

Barley wines aren't really dry hopped that often but it's your beer so do what ever you'd like. That said I'd dry hop it 3-7 days before you want to bottle or keg. Cheers

I wouldn't let it sit on dry hops for more than 10-14 days, that seems to be the maximum before you may start experiencing off flavors.

Thanks guys. So I'm assuming it would just be better to dry hop before I bottle instead of dry hopping and then removing them after 10-14 days and letting the beer sit longer?

Back