Dry Hopping Issue-Is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfrice80

Reaction score
I'm assuming this is normal. Alright, so I've never dry hopped before. Since I plan on kegging my Tripel IPA on Thursday, thats TripEL not TripLE, I figured I would dry hop it this evening and keg it Thursday. So, I added 2 oz of Centennial into my secondary fermentor. Within a minute, the bubbling went from nothing to every second. Now, it keeps blowing over. Its been about 2 hours now and its still going crazy. Is this normal?

I think it's just letting off exess Co2 it should chill out pretty soon. The bonus is that will help drive off any O2 that is in your secondary.

I've had beers start fermenting again after racking to secondary a couple of times. And yes, it's real fermentation, not just off-gassing. Came down an extra gravity point (-0.001). Could be the agitation/stirring things up during transfer, could be the introduction of a little oxygen... For whatever reason, it happens sometimes. So my rule now is to wait a couple of days after racking to see it it's started up again before throwing in the dry hops.

I had it in the secondary for over 2 weeks. There was no active fermentation going on. I then added the hops on top of it and it went nuts. It unexpectedly blew over. I'm trying to figure out why the addition of hops would create such a reaction. No fermentables were added.

You ever see the Mentos in a bottle of Diet Coke reaction?

Same principle. You're giving the CO2 in solution a bunch of nucleation sites with the hops.

Did you use pellets? I had an APA almost foam over after dumping 2 oz. of pellets in, they were real broke down and powdery.

Thats exactly what I told my girlfriend last night. The only thing I could think of was similar to the coke and mentos experiment. Yes, they were pellets so when they broke apart it probably was like adding some mentos to a slightly carbonated solution.

Back