Dry-hopping in kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
I'm wanting to dry-hop 2 kegs of APA but I hate having to transfer the beer to other kegs because of the mess from the pellet hops. If I use bags & whole hops... will that pretty much fix my problem or is there still stuff that comes off the whole hops? Do I use the same weight of whole to pellet?

You use a lot more whole hops than pellets and you still get mush from whole pellets when you boil, not sure if there's much when dry hopping. What about hop oils?

Dry hopping actually works better using whole hops. More surface area and less oil loss due to processing. Use a fine mesh bag and don't fill it more than half full. Some of my keg lids have a hook epoxied to the underside of the lid to hold the bag. In others, I just use a wire hook to retrieve it. You will get a little resin dust, but it's nothing compared to pellets.

Pellets are great for bittering & flavor, but I prefer whole hops for aroma and dry hopping.

I did the same thing but used a stainless powdered sugar can that I drilled some extra holes in it and just dropped it in.

I tend to use hop plugs and a muslin bag...easy cleanup

lately I've been using the aroma tablets that they sell at Austin homebrew. Seem to work nicely. All they have is Cascade though.

Otherwise, I just throw a mesh bag into the keg and leave it. If I want to move the beer off of the hops, I'll just rack it to a new keg. Usually I just leave them in there though.

Dude said:
lately I've been using the aroma tablets that they sell at Austin homebrew. Seem to work nicely. All they have is Cascade though.

Otherwise, I just throw a mesh bag into the keg and leave it. If I want to move the beer off of the hops, I'll just rack it to a new keg. Usually I just leave them in there though.

I have not heard of these aroma tablets... what's the verdict?

I've got some hop oil, which can help an under-flavor/aroma beer. I think it is just Cascades. Two drops can change a Mild to a Pale, but much more & it starts getting strange. It's from Freshops, but I don't see it on the site any more.

Back