Dry hopping in corny kegs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm747

Reaction score
Good morning, I kegged my IPA Thursday night, dry hopped the kegs and then put them in the kegerator connected to the C02. Should I have just flushed the o2 out of the kegs and left them in the basement at 70 degrees, or was it ok to put them in the kegerator at 40 degrees as they dry hop?

Thanks!

Tim

You're fine, I do it all the time...its actually interesting to drink it while being dry hopped so you get an idea of how the character changes with time. In doing so you learn there are no set rules like 'don't dry hop more than 14 days or you'll get a vegetative flavor.' Sure its a good general rule, but dry hopping while its on tap will quickly teach you how flexible dry hopping is.

You're fine, I do it all the time...its actually interesting to drink it while being dry hopped so you get an idea of how the character changes with time. In doing so you learn there are no set rules like 'don't dry hop more than 14 days or you'll get a vegetative flavor.' Sure its a good general rule, but dry hopping while its on tap will quickly teach you how flexible dry hopping is.

Keep in mind that temperature is an important variable here.

I prefer that method, but I loose so much liquid through the leafs absorbing the wort, I am trying pellets for the first time.

I've been dryhopping at room temp, ~70 degrees, in the keg with good success. I like to shake the keg every couple days for about a week before I put it in the keezer.

I feel like warm temperatures are better for dry hopping, but I also believe that given enough time you'll get to the same place at fridge temperatures.

I pretty much only dry hop in kegs cold. I pop a sure screen on the dip tube and use leaf hops. I have found my dry hopped beers have reached their peak of aroma at around 3ish weeks when dry hopped at 40F.

It may take longer (emphasis on may) to reach the same result while cold hopping, but as was said before it's very cool tasting the age difference of the hops. For instance, a pale ale I cold hopped with Centennial started out, just carbonated, with some aroma, mostly just a hoppy scent. Couple weeks later, it was very floral. Same beer, now bottled from the keg, after a few months is like drinking pure sparkling grapefruit juice. Kyle

Back