Dry hopping for too long: tangent from another thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeperks

Reaction score
Another thread with the subject of dry hopping for too long came up earlier, with opinions being that up to 7 or possibly 10 days should be the maximum to avoid grassy flavours.

I've added half of my dry hop bill to the bucket two weeks before I plan to bottle. They're in a mesh bag. Would it be a good idea to remove that when I add the second bag this weekend? I"d rather not remove it earlier if possible as I want to minimise the number of times I lift the lid.

I decided to add them in two stages after reading elsewhere that some people do it that way. There was no logic behind deciding to do it other than "why not? I have two bags..."

As an aside, I'm guessing that the grassy flavours are due to the hop cones breaking down structurally?

jakeperks said:
Another thread with the subject of dry hopping for too long came up earlier, with opinions being that up to 7 or possibly 10 days should be the maximum to avoid grassy flavours.

I've added half of my dry hop bill to the bucket two weeks before I plan to bottle. They're in a mesh bag. Would it be a good idea to remove that when I add the second bag this weekend? I"d rather not remove it earlier if possible as I want to minimise the number of times I lift the lid.

I decided to add them in two stages after reading elsewhere that some people do it that way. There was no logic behind deciding to do it other than "why not? I have two bags..."

As an aside, I'm guessing that the grassy flavours are due to the hop cones breaking down structurally?

Yes, you should remove the first dry hop when adding the second. I believe this is what Russian River does when they add fresh dry hops each week to Pliny the Elder.

metanoia said:
Yes, you should remove the first dry hop when adding the second. I believe this is what Russian River does when they add fresh dry hops each week to Pliny the Elder.

A beer I have never had the pleasure of sampling, yet have heard so much about. Thanks for the advice!

Same here, I can't wait to track down a bottle or a tap one day. I started listening to the back catalogue of podcasts of The Session on The Brewing Network, and one of the first episodes Vinny from RR described how they do that for 4 weeks I believe.

Back