Dry Hopping Bud Light ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merz69

Reaction score
Saw a Reddit post about dropping hop pellets into Bud Lite bottles to help with tasting the different hop flavors … has anyone tried this ? Won’t the beer go flat in the time it takes to get flavorized ?

i've done it, but i used labatt blue. pop the top, cram the cones/pellets in, then recap quickly.

i didn't notice an appreciable loss of carbonation.

Dryhopping Bud Light?

Talk about putting lipstick on a pig......
True, but I also don't see someone trying to push it off as anything other than an experiment.
For the sake of experimenting with some different hop combinations it seems like a valid concept.
I would probably use a screen ball tea steeper for the hops and put and the beer in one of our sealing Contigo tumblers.

I don't know, I think it is more like brining and smoking that pig into some bacon. I made a Miller Lite clone for a retirement party earlier in the year, but I didn't care for it much, so I dry hopped it and it turned out much better.

Works fine as an interesting experiment. These twist top Coors Light cans allow you to drop in the pellets and re-seal quickly.

Attachments

• 1498A9CC-7AAF-4A34-A9E9-EDD85681993C.jpeg
    1498A9CC-7AAF-4A34-A9E9-EDD85681993C.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 2
I tried it with beer packaged in PET bottles.
They are basically like 500ml brown soda bottles, so have a bottle top that can be easily reclosed.

I got them at my local Lidl store, some kind of bland Pilsner beer.
I'm not sure where you would get them in the US.
unnamed.jpg

It worked pretty good, just make sure the beer is cold first, add 1g of pellets and close as quick as possible as they fizz up a lot.
After a few days I poured them into the glass through a metal tea strainer which filtered out most of the hops and didn't affect the carbonation too much.

Why not just brew an ale with not a ton of hop flavor/aroma additions and then use either swing tops, or growlers, to add hops once carbonated? That way you don't have to drink the bud light crap. Hell, you could just brew a 1 gallon SMaSH recipe if you really wanted to see what a hop will give you.

Why not just brew an ale with not a ton of hop flavor/aroma additions and then use either swing tops, or growlers, to add hops once carbonated? That way you don't have to drink the bud light crap. Hell, you could just brew a 1 gallon SMaSH recipe if you really wanted to see what a hop will give you.
Have you actually done either of these? If so, what did you find and how does it compare to "Dry Hop Bud Light"?

Have you actually done either of these? If so, what did you find and how does it compare to "Dry Hop Bud Light"?
I don't brew 1 gallon batches. I have a SMaSH recipe (English IPA) that's in the recipe rotation. I have a very similar recipe with a different hop, where I added victory malt to as well (20% of the grist).

I have two hops that I use for my recipes. One is my primary (EKG) and I've used First Gold in a few others. I have a pound of Challenger that I plan to use sometime soon (to see how I like it). I DO look at the information available for the hops to see what it will give me. IME/IMO, that's a really good starting point for most recipe generation tasks. Then brew a batch to confirm and go from there.

Keep in mind, except for the first two batches I brewed, I've been making my own recipes.

Back