Dry Hopping an American IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jruffatto

Reaction score
I'm just about to start brewing and I'm using centennial, cascade and simcoe hops during the boil and was planning on using more Cascade to dry hop. Should I dry hop when I put the wort into the fermenter or should I dry hop towards the end of secondary fermentation?

Everything I've read says to dry hop after primary is complete, so I normally wait about seven days then just throw some hop pellets in.

I like to keep my beer on the dry hops for a week to 10 days, so I suggest adding the hops approximately one week before bottling. It's best to do it in the secondary, after fermentation is complete.

I don't use a secondary, so I dump the dry hop (pellets) right into the primary after 12 days.

I dump the pellets right into the primary once the krausen falls. Then I dry hop for 7 days for an IPA.

The pellets will fall to the trub by the time you package the beer.

Eric

I dump the pellets right into the primary once the krausen falls. Then I dry hop for 7 days for an IPA.

The pellets will fall to the trub by the time you package the beer.

Eric

Me too. Why transfer to a secondary if you don't have to?

Back