Dry Hopping advice - Citra , Cascade or Amarillo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gsusbrew

Reaction score
Hey Guys .. So I brewed up a 10 gallon batch of an amarillo pale ale
hop schedule
1 oz (aus) Galaxy 60 mins
.5oz ammarilo 40 mins
.5 oz amarillo 20 mins
.5 oz amarillo 10 mins
.5 oz amarillo 5 mins

Malt 15lbs 2 row
1 lb crystal 40
1lb wheat
.5 lb carapils

OG 1.048

I split the it into 2, 5 gallon batches
1 Safale 05
1 Nottingham

I want to dry hop each batch with a different hop. I am a big fan of cascade so i was going to do 1 with cascade and 1 with citra (1 oz each in secondary for 5 days)

I am not sure if either of these will clash with the profile of the beer. Should I try 1 oz amarillo in exchange for either the cascade or citra?

I am just looking for some general thought and any one has had any experience with this...
This is my 2nd time dry hopping...

Thanks in advance!

It sounds like a nice experiment. I would do as originally planned. See which you like better and maybe expand on that one.

Or, as you originally called it an Amarillo Pale ale - maybe stick with all Amarillo for one of them.

I did a SMaSH with Amarillo. "Amarillo Armadillo" It was great.

kh54st - did you dry hop with amarillo? I've read that it can cause a cat pee smell. I only read that once. But it has scared me....

A lot of people say they get the cat pee smell off of different hops like Simcoe and I've even heard the same about Citra but I think people have no idea what cat pee really smells like. I have cats, I know what their pee smells like and it certainly doesn't smell like a beer dry-hopped with those hops.

I think Citra is an amazing hop to use for dry-hopping. The aroma it gives is almost orgasmic (not really, but still). Lots of citrus notes, tropical fruit, just simply fruity all the way around. I've never dry-hopped with Amarillo but New Belgium brewery does a seasonal IPA that they dry-hop with Mosaic and Amarillo and it is amazing.

Honestly, dry-hopping with any of those 3 will create some great aromas.

kh54st - did you dry hop with amarillo? I've read that it can cause a cat pee smell. I only read that once. But it has scared me....

No, now that I think of it I did not dry hop that one. I have gone mostly to doing hopstands rather than dry hopping.

I get hoppy enough that way without doing a dry hop. Just a little bit easier, IMO.

I dry hop my house IPA with Amarillo and Citra and it gives off a great aroma. I don't thin you can go wrong with any of them.

Yes, currently I use .5oz of Amarillo and 1oz of Citra. I have the half ounce left over from my kettle additions so it seems like a good use. In the future when I can obtain Amarillo by the pound I may give it a test run with the full ounce.

Here is my hop schedule
1oz Centennial @ 60
.5oz Amarillo @ 15
1oz Centennial @ 10
1oz Citra @ 10
1oz Citra @ 0
.5oz Amarillo @ Dry Hop for 7
1oz Citra @ Dray Hop for 7

As others have said those are both great choices to go with Amarillo.

If I may offer some small advice for the next batch, I would get rid of the 40min addition and move it up to flame out. A half oz at 40 isn't really going to add much to the finished beer, but more hops near the end of the boil can increase the aroma a lot.

Brett - for sure. I tasted the hydrometer sample and it was a bit more bitter than I really wanted. I think the 40 minute edition would have been better at flame out.

Here is what i am thinking
For the nottingham batch - Add 1 oz cascade dry hop
For the saf 05 - Add 1 oz citra .5 amarillo dry hop
Both in secondary for 7 days
Cold crash
Add to keg
Carbonate
Enjoy
Enjoy
Enjoy

in that order

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I've got three beers currently in bottles that used Citra and/or Amarillo fairly heavily (a Fresh Squeezed clone, a Gumballhead clone and my own Citra/Amarillo house pale ale) and I've yet to get the "cat pee" smell from any of them. The latest batch of my pale ale was dry hopped with 1 oz Citra and 2 oz Amarillo for a 5 gallon batch. Smelled great when I bottled it. I think Citra and Amarillo go great together (obviously...I bought a pound of each earlier this year and have been using them in damn near everything). Cascade should be good too.

wait...why on earth did you use galaxy for a bittering hop? Thats like ordering a $60 steak at a fine restaurant and feeding it to your dog

I make a pale ale that I use either centinniel or cascade for bittering at 60 min. Then I split the 10 gallon batch in half at flameout and to half add 1 oz. cascade and the other 1 oz citra. Steep for 5 min. and cool.

Original formula was cascade and it's a very nice PA. The citra adds a nice citrus flavor and I may like it slightly better.

Haven't used Amarillo much for so can't help you there.

I'm a really big fan of citra for late additions but amarillo is nice too. I tend to think of citra skewing towards juicy mango and orange citrus, amarillo as tangerine and orange citrus, and cascade as grapefruit and yellow citrus.

Go with your original plan. Citra and Amarillo pair extremely well. It's my favorite hop combination.

Back