Dry Hopping a NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCasey1992

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently brewed my first attempt at a NEIPA and it has been fermenting for about 2 days. I have been told to add the dry hops at high krausen. Sorry for the ignorant question but when exactly is that? Based on the wording, I imagine it is when the krausen is at its highest point but would like some confirmation. I attached a photo of fermentation also. If it's possible to tell, do you think this is ready for the dry hops?

1519878656709.jpeg

You're on the money, high krausen is when the yeast are totally going wild, which typically is a good 24 hours from pitching.
That said, and fwiw, my go-to neipa process is to pitch the evening of brew day, let it rip for the next day, then do the "bio-hops" the next day. So somewhere between 1.5 and 2 full days from the pitch, usually somewhere in the midst of the peak fermentation throes.
Let those ride for four days then do the next dry hop, run four more days then start cold-crashing...

Cheers!

Back