Dry hopped my primary. Go for secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebeer

Reaction score
Hello All,

A little context...I have dry hopped my primary about 6 days ago (with my fresh picked home grown hops!). This will be day 14 of the primary phase. In my mind, I was all set to rack to my keg this evening, but I've been reading about the secondary fermentation process and wondering what other folks think. I'm fairly sure that fermentation is done. I'm only seeing a bubble every 90ish seconds (give or take). I can time it later, if needed. So last night I washed my keg and filled it with a star-san solution for sanitizing. I was going to run the solution through my keg system to sterilize everything just prior to racking to the keg.

My questions:
1) Given that I have dry hopped, should I go for a two week secondary too?
2) Given that I want to drink my beer, should I wait another week in the primary, then rack to the keg?
3) Given that I want to drink my beer and that I read that there are diminishing returns for dry hopping longer than 4-7 days, should I just rack to my keg now?
4) I have a star-san solution in my keg and keg lines now, just sitting there. How long is this ok to keep in there?

Thanks for the replies. In case anyone was wondering, the bubbles from the primary are 93 seconds apart.

I just read that a secondary phase is helpful for clearing up the beer by helping to remove the trub from the beer. Also, that it helps remove any off flavors caused by dead yeast or other ingredients that make their way into the keg. This idea appealed to me because I tossed in loose whole hops into the primary, so I'm worried a bit that the hops will get into the keg and plug it up.

The real question is Is the fermenting done? The only way to tell is w/two hydrometer readings that show no change. No secondary needed.

Next time I'd encourage you to use a hydrometer and dry hop once fermentation is complete. Airlock bubbles don't necessarily reflect fermentation - hydrometers do. Hope the batch smells yummy with those homegrown hops!

I consider the keg as a closed secondary. Transfer, add keg finings if that's your thing and purge the head space with CO2. You can let it sit warm, but with a dry-hopped beer, I'd say just chill it, carbonate it and tap it. With a good amount of dry hops it may not clarify anyway, so if that's the point of your secondary don't wast the effort.

This is all good stuff. Thanks folks.

I can still take a hydrometer reading. I'll take one later this afternoon and again tomorrow afternoon. If no change, then I'll keg it tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the replies. In case anyone was wondering, the bubbles from the primary are 93 seconds apart.

I just read that a secondary phase is helpful for clearing up the beer by helping to remove the trub from the beer. Also, that it helps remove any off flavors caused by dead yeast or other ingredients that make their way into the keg. This idea appealed to me because I tossed in loose whole hops into the primary, so I'm worried a bit that the hops will get into the keg and plug it up.

Bubbles at this point only tell you that gas (co2) is passing through the airlock. This can have many reasons and does not tell you much, if anything, about the state of the fermentation.

Secondary will allow the beer to clear a little more than if just a primary is done, but it is doubtful enough to really notice.

Your dry hop may make the beer a little cloudy that a secondary might not help with.

Off flavors from dead yeast is only a real problem if it is left in the beer for a very long time. (many months)

Put a paint strainer or muslin bag over the dip end of your siphon and it will keep the hop bits out of the keg. I use paint strainer bags to hold the hops while in the beer.

I agree with checking the gravity, then straight to the keg.

The real question is Is the fermenting done? The only way to tell is w/two hydrometer readings that show no change. No secondary needed.

Next time I'd encourage you to use a hydrometer and dry hop once fermentation is complete. Airlock bubbles don't necessarily reflect fermentation - hydrometers do. Hope the batch smells yummy with those homegrown hops!

Agree with both of these. Verify with hydrometer that you've hit your expected gravity range, and the gravity hasn't changed for 2-3 days. Then fermentation is done, and you can dry hop in the primary. Go straight to keg from there.

Hope you love the beer!

Hello All,

A little context...I have dry hopped my primary about 6 days ago (with my fresh picked home grown hops!). This will be day 14 of the primary phase. In my mind, I was all set to rack to my keg this evening, but I've been reading about the secondary fermentation process and wondering what other folks think. I'm fairly sure that fermentation is done. I'm only seeing a bubble every 90ish seconds (give or take). I can time it later, if needed. So last night I washed my keg and filled it with a star-san solution for sanitizing. I was going to run the solution through my keg system to sterilize everything just prior to racking to the keg.

My questions:
1) Given that I have dry hopped, should I go for a two week secondary too?
2) Given that I want to drink my beer, should I wait another week in the primary, then rack to the keg?
3) Given that I want to drink my beer and that I read that there are diminishing returns for dry hopping longer than 4-7 days, should I just rack to my keg now?
4) I have a star-san solution in my keg and keg lines now, just sitting there. How long is this ok to keep in there?

1) Nope. Hop extraction takes only a day or so..I'm down to 3day max dry hopping. https://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/handle/1957/34093

2) Depends on type of beer. <7%ers 7-10days in primary (including a dry hop). >7%ers and heavier stouts about 14days in primary (but more for the malts then the hops). I secondary only for heavily dry hopped or strong beers to separate out the yeast which can cause longer term odd flavors. After primary (or secondary) completes, I cold crash for 24hrs in an ice bath for same reason, prior to kegging. It's solved some "odd flavors" developing later in the keg, especially for IPA/DIPAs. I know there are several ways of doing this, but this is mine for now.

3) Yes, but see #2.

4) I've had SS in my keg lines for 6 weeks or so...didn't seem to cause issues. Have PBW in others now. Don't forget to tear apart your system (taps etc) every so often (3 months or so) for a full clean. Build up will develop overtime.

Oh, and I'm not a fan of exposing buckets to keep checking gravity. Under normal circumstances, for <7%ers you're done in 5 days, for >10%ers you're done in about 10-12days, and others fall in the middle. If I didn't see much lock activity, I'll prepare myself for dry hop or a transfer then check gravity. It's pretty digital. Either it was hit/close or way off and something major happened and will take action then.

One more thing: Congratulations on your successful hop growing!

Ya'll are great. I appreciate your time and feedback. I find it very helpful. Thank you!

I just made a Pale Ale. The recipe said it should be about 5.1%. Thanks for answering #4. That was one I was still wondering about. My hunch was it was ok, because why not. But it was only a hunch.

Latest posts

Back