Dry hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoundersBrew

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am going to dry-hop for the first time and was wondering if I can throw hop pellets into my secondary without a hop sack? Also is there any sanitation I need to do to the hops?

Any help will be great!

You can toss them right into the primary if you wanted to...

I'll be dry hoppin an ESB I brewed almost two weeks ago (in about another week, for a week)... Going to toss the whole hops right into the primary...

You do not need to sanitize the hops. As to the hop bag, a lot of people will say just go ahead and throw them in without a bag. Personally, I think that is a PITA. I much prefer keeping the hops in a bag, sinking the bag, and easily removing all of the hops after racking.

Guess it really depends on how much hops we're talking about... I'll be using a total of 1oz here... I'm also using my 6 gallon carboy, so space isn't an issue. I'd rather be sure they had plenty of saturation/contact with the wort, than worry about it. If I was to use hop bags, I'd probably want to use a few. They'll also be more difficult (in my experience) to remove through the carboy neck than whole hops.

I do agree that there's no need to sanitize the hops, or anything. If you use a hop bag, you could give it a quick dunk in StarSan if you're ultra paranoid. Or a short dip into boiling water... I think it's going over the top though. The alcohol level of the brew should be sufficient to take care of anything that tries to hitch a ride. That is, IF anything can hitch a ride on hops. :ban:

The hops are fine, no need to sanitize there. Hops in beer actually protect against spoilage, that's why IPA's came about. Sanitize a bag if you use one and anything you use to weigh it down. Boiling water would be the easiest way to do that. I never use a bag and I don't think it's a PITA at all. When using pellets they just fall to the bottom by the time you're ready to keg or bottle anyway. Now whole hops, that's a different story. I hate them.

Everyone has different opinions though, some like whole hops, some like pellets, some like to throw them straight in, and some like to put them in a bag. You'll just have to see what works best for you on your system.

rjwhite41 This going to be the first batch I dry hop... So, I will have to see how I like leaving them loose... Sort of like going commando for some people I suppose. :eek: Or the whole: boxers, briefs, boxer-briefs thing... :rockin:

I'm sure if you use a bucket, it's easier to pull the bags out... If it's anything like when I used oak chips in a carboy, though, I'll not be bagging my hops when dry hopping...

I use pellets that float on top. I cold crash and they all sink into the cake making racking easy and clear. You will be fine however you do it and even if a piece gets into a bottle, its just something to snack on while you enjoy your homebrew

I use pellets that float on top. I cold crash and they all sink into the cake making racking easy and clear. You will be fine however you do it and even if a piece gets into a bottle, its just something to snack on while you enjoy your homebrew

mmmmm... chunky brew... :D

I'm sure if you chill the bottle down long enough, that will settle with the rest, and compact nicely... :D

ThePearsonFam said:
I go commando all the time...

oh, my bad... I took that totally in the wrong direction...

I was wondering how long it would be before someone took the bait... :rockin:

I've never used a hop sack, just drop 'em in. Pellets will settle to the bottom within a week, whole hops look like this, and you might want to make one of these to retrieve your beer.:mug:

I've never used a hop sack, just drop 'em in. Pellets will settle to the bottom within a week, whole hops look like this, and you might want to make one of these to retrieve your beer.:mug:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who occasionally kisses a caraboy!

Latest posts

Back