Dry hop with fresh hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frozengator

Reaction score
Is there a problem with using fresh off the vine hops to dry hop? Or do they need dehydrated first?

Actually, "Wet Hops" is a thing these days.
You have to account for the water weight (generally, a factor of 5X or .2x depending on how you do the math) when accounting for IBUs.
Otherwise they're hops. Have at 'em! :)

Cheers!

I have 8 gallon of a NEIPA going in two 5 gallon fermentors. I was going to add my fresh centennial and cascade hops along with my mosaic and citra in one fermentor. Will this be too much hops?

Probably not. My experience with my homegrown hops is that they are unpredictable in terms of AA content and end result. I'd plan on the commercial hops doing most of the work, and any contribution from your fresh hops is a bonus.

And the other problem I have is I don't know what cones are what. The vines grew together. This was my first attempt at hops so I made a teepee shaped trellis and it 10 foot tall with a 8 foot diameter bottom. First year they were fine this year they went crazy. I will move one this late fall or early spring.. Figured when dry hopping it probably doesn't really matter

Commercially they don't "pick" them, they cut off the bine at the base and then send it through a machine to strip the cones, so in principle you could do that with yours, untangle the bines and then keepthe cones separate?

Commercial brewers I know work on 7:1 ratio, ie using 7oz green hops in place of 1 oz dried hops. The beers are great, they're the main reason it's worth the hassle of growing hops, as there's all sorts of aroma compounds that are normally lost in drying. So use them primarily in the whirlpool and as dry hops.

But you have to be quick - the guys I talk to reckon that you only have 4 hours from bine to wort to catch the hops at their best, anything more than 12 hours is a waste of time and you would have been better off drying them. So you'll get brewers putting the copper on to boil, and then going to the farm to pick up the hops.

Back