Dry hop suggestions: a black lager and a sour berliner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanPancho

Reaction score
so here's what i've got on hand:

cascade, styrian goldings, st ceilia, perle, centennial, green bullet, pacific gem, magnum. (pretty sure i can borrow some hallertau, columbus or nugget easily)

also: (aus) summer, huel melon, hallertau blanc, belma, bavarian mandarina, amarillo, el dorado, citra, lemon drop, galaxy.

the black lager is dark and strong. 7%, 40ishSRM, and i went about ~42 IBU with perle at first wort and then again at 10minutes. very dark and toasty but not alot of bitter (de-bittered black and midnight wheat) the yeast i use really eats up your hop additions so i went high for style, then when i racked it off yeast to fine and crash, i got some aroma from the hops. weird (for a black lager) but good. so now i'm thinking of splitting the batch and carbing up half as-is, and then dry hopping the other half for a week or so.

for the black lager- i think centennial could be good, but im hesitant to use it again as i just dry hopped the hell out of an india red lager with it. any of these others sound like good dry hop candidate(s) to layer over the perle?

AND i also made a 5.5% wort in a berliner weiss style (~45% pale malts, ~45% various wheats, 10% honey+aromatic). i kettle soured with lacto+pedio, and then fermented with a brett +lacto pitch. no hops in kettle. pH was ~3.5 or so when i pitched the brett and lacto, so it should be more sour after ~10 days in fermenter.

im gonna split this one into two batches as well. im really leaning towards using the "new" german hops for an "old" german style--> huel melon+ hal.blanc, and then belma+mandarina.

but im open to other suggestions if you got'em. any advice greatly appreciated.

I guess I would second not dry hopping these as well. Black lager doesn't sound like something to dry hop and I am not a big fan of dry hopped sours (although I really like Le Terroir). If I was going to dry hop a Berliner Weiss I might use a noble hop in small amounts. My suggestion would be dry hop one batch with traditional noble hops and the other with the newer varietals.

Edit: Since you're splitting the black lager as well, my suggestion would be dry hop with Perle since you used it in the boil. I haven't liked the dark beers I have dry hopped with more 'playful' hops (traditional American IPA hops, etc).

sorry, little bit of relevant info i left out. these are small 1-1.5 gallon batches, which will be split into 1/2 gallons. so even if it turns out to be a bad idea, one round for a few buddies will be the end of it.

and for the berliner, there's actually 1.5 gals. so there'll be three 1/2 gal splits- no dry hop, a new german duo dry hop, and then per warden's suggestion some sort of noble-ish dry hop?

my intention for this batch was to see what an all brett berliner tastes like, as well as the affects the brett has on dry hopping. should be able to say i accomplished all three.

as for the black- as i stated originally, i realize dry hopping is totally out of style and quite a bit unusual- but its just a wild idea i got when that first whiff of perle hops got to me. i guess i didnt think of just topping off with a little more perle but since i dont want to use centennial again that may be the ticket.

I've had two dry hopped berliners by Siren and they were really nice. The hops gave it a nice juicy edge. They partially replace the mandatory fruit syrup! :D

Back