Dry Hop Infuser, stainless for CHEAP..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thekage

Reaction score
So I have been looking for a good way to dry hop. Want something stainless, doesn't cost a fortune, can be used in the keg or fermenter. I have seen a lot of people use the tea balls/herb balls, but they are usually really small or if bigger wont fit in a corny.
Enter the Kitchenaid herb/spice dispenser....it's large, but not too large. Removed the select-a-size lid, had to drill out the rivet. Drilled a few more holes in the bottom, voila... I think this thing is gonna be awesome! $9 at Target....
I think it could hold 3oz of pellet hops no problem, that picture is of 2 oz with plenty of room to spare.

20151119_212133.jpg

20151119_212438.jpg

20151119_213802.jpg

20151119_214847.jpg

Simple and cheap! Awesome.

I will throw it out there that 2-3 ounces of hops in that thing is going to be pushing it. I've got one of those corny keg dry hoppers from arbor fab (2.75" x 11.5") and 3 ounces of hops will almost completely fill that thing after they've absorbed some beer and expanded. 1 ounce would seem to be more reasonable in that container.

Also, are you putting a screen on the new holes you drilled to prevent hop junk from escaping?

agreed

that is a cool idea, but I dont think it would hold 3oz effectively. Maybe dry but they expand like 3x their volume when they absorb water. I wouldnt use mroe than 1 oz in that thing or youd just be wasting your hops

I would also be concerned with hop utilization. You don't have a lot of holes for beer to get in or out of. I have used teaballs in the past and I definitely don't get the same utilization that I do when I just dump the hops in. This goes for both boiling and dry hopping in my experience.

I would also be concerned with hop utilization. You don't have a lot of holes for beer to get in or out of.

Yeah, I was worried about that a little bit. I was thinking about adding a bunch more small holes on the sides

Latest posts

Back