Dry hop in primary or keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JawnnyO

Reaction score
This will be my first time dry hopping. I primary in a bottling bucket, then gravity feed to a serving keg. I ferment around 18.5C. I let it sit in the keg for a couple of weeks at 11C to settle before carbonating. I could let it drop to 5C in the fridge. Is it better to add the dry hops to the primary or to the keg. Thanks for the response.

Primary, about 3 days before kegging. Get the flavor you expect from the oils but not the leaves.

Might reconsider it sitting a few weeks. Few days might be enough for most beers.

I’m using pellets, not leaves. It is SmaSh pale malt and cascade hops. You are suggesting less time without carbonation is better? I can do that as I currently only have one keg in the fridge.

Pellets are leaves, just uber compressed.

Keg after fermentation is done, usually around a week (sometimes less, is yeast dependent), 2 to be safe if you want. Force carb then let it sit a day or two in the frig for any yeast to settle. Then enjoy it.

Unless you are super careful transferring with zero oxygen coming in from the ambient air you are probably losing hop flavors by the minute, and they can be gone within a few weeks and sometimes less. Try the beer much sooner and I think you'll get a much different taste (one that is more enjoyable).

Back