dry hop in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sputnam

Reaction score
so i read recently that most beers will last quite a while in the keg but hoppy beers will will fade fairly quickly. I have an IPA kegged on 9/6 and dry hopped in the keg. It's still quite tasty and aromatic. It's almost at the 2 month mark...do you think i could get another month out of it?

you're right, i'm fairly new to kegging and have not yet broken the seal once it's been closed but that is certainly an option. Great idea.

im always worried about getting that grassy taste if I DH in a keg. I guess that doesn't happen?

im always worried about getting that grassy taste if I DH in a keg. I guess that doesn't happen?

I havent done it. But I know a lot of prominent homebrewing will typically dry hop their IPAs in the fermentor and keg so its gotta be working

There's an easy way to avoid grassy flavors. I've often dry hopped in the keg by putting the hops in a bag and hanging them in the center of the keg using dental floss. Once the liquid goes below the halfway mark, the hops are no longer submerged and no grassy flavors.

There's an easy way to avoid grassy flavors. I've often dry hopped in the keg by putting the hops in a bag and hanging them in the center of the keg using dental floss. Once the liquid goes below the halfway mark, the hops are no longer submerged and no grassy flavors.

Awesome idea! :mug:

I'm fermenting an IPA now and would like to do this. But where do you attach the floss inside the keg?

Secondary question: this IPA is specifically for a Thanksgiving gathering. When is the best time to add the dry hop bag to the keg?

I'm fermenting an IPA now and would like to do this. But where do you attach the floss inside the keg?

Me thinks, squished between the seal and the keg, with a well lubed O-ring, and seated with high pressure, before reducing to serving pressure.

I believe that is how it is usually done. You could use waxed floss to be extra careful.

This guy put a clamp on the inside of the valve nib.
hop_bag.jpg

1) be careful putting new hops in a keg, it could cause a lot of foam.
2) I typically just sanitize a ziptie and then ziptie the hopbag to the dip tube about 1/4 up from the bottom.
I've never had a dryhopped keg last longer than about a month and a half, but I've never had any grassy flavors.

Dry hop in the keg all the time. I've got a DIPA that's about 3 months old now. Still has a nice aroma, slightly faded, but still there. Never had an issue yet with grassy flavors.

+1 to no grassy issues, I dry hop several different beers in the keg, some with as much as 5oz, they usually don't last longer than 4-6 weeks but I've occasionally had a keg go 8-10 weeks with still no issues. a little fade towards the end but not enough to worry about. I've never removed the hops until the keg is kicked.

Back