Dry hop in keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacchusmj

Reaction score
I'm getting impatient. Two fermenters and my bottle bucket are full, yet in a disastrous turn of events...... Both taps are kicked. So...

Is there anything wrong with sanitizing a hop bag and dry hopping in the keg while I get another batch going, then simply carbing up with the hops still in the keg? Or would I need to pull the hops before carbing?

No problem at all. I do this all If the time. Just remember the first week or so won't have as much aroma as the next week. Some beers(my big IPAs) really benefit from hopping in the keg.

Would I even need to dry hop for a week before carbing, or can I just toss the hops in and carb up? I would assume the aroma would disburse just as well at low temps and along with the co2. Or am I wrong?

I just did this with an I.Black Ale. I split an oz. of pellet hops between two of those tea strainer balls and dropped them into the keg. The first glass was scary, it looked like an incredible hulk protein drink but after that first glass it poured clear, super hoppy and just great. I had dry hopped in the primary prior to kegging. Go for it and let us know how it goes.

No problem at all. I do this all If the time. Just remember the first week or so won't have as much aroma as the next week. Some beers(my big IPAs) really benefit from hopping in the keg.

Agreed, and it's easy to pull the hops out if you start to feel that it's too much, since the opening in a keg is larger than a carboy. The only difference that I've noticed is that it takes longer with a lower temp, but then again, when brewing, the general rule is cooler = longer.

Would I even need to dry hop for a week before carbing, or can I just toss the hops in and carb up? I would assume the aroma would disburse just as well at low temps and along with the co2. Or am I wrong?

The bag is still nice since your ounce of hops will expand to the size of a softball and will end up in the finished product. To answer you question, just add them when you keg. I use a paint strainer bag and un-waxwed/flavored dental floss and pull it out when it's just right. Good luck buddy!

You can do that- but remember that it takes longer at colder temperatures for the dryhopping to really become effective.

I normally dryhop 5-7 days at 68 degrees OR, in the keg, for the life of the keg at 40 degrees. At 40 degrees, it takes more like 14 days or so for the same flavor I get at 5 days at 68 degrees.

But it can certainly carb up while this is happening, and I've been known to drink the beer by about day 4-7, before it's as hoppy as I would prefer!

I do this all the time... I prefer to use leaf hops over pellet because the pellets hops turn into a sludge in the hop bag and some end up in my glass when I pour. I typically use 1-2oz in a fine mesh bag and a marble to sink them... All sanitized o course. Go ahead and toss them in while you carb. If you use the set and forget method it will be perfect in about 10-12 days!
CHEERS!!!!

moorerm04 said:
I do this all the time... I prefer to use leaf hops over pellet because the pellets hops turn into a sludge in the hop bag and some end up in my glass when I pour. I typically use 1-2oz in a fine mesh bag and a marble to sink them... All sanitized o course. Go ahead and toss them in while you carb. If you use the set and forget method it will be perfect in about 10-12 days!
CHEERS!!!!

I prefer leaf too, but I got tiered of dealing with bags. I use these, they're stainless and easy to deal with. Work great on brew day too.

image-3470214020.jpg

Could swear we just had this topic a few days ago.

Yep, it's perfectly fine. Carb at the same time if you like, but it will be a little slower to infuse the full flavors.

Enjoy! :)

Alright, now I'm thinking.

I've got a couple oz of home grown (hops). I didn't use them last year so I froze them. Can you use frozen hops for dry hopping? I assume the lupulin will still be there when they are thawed. Or does the aroma fade out of hops when they are frozen, almost as they are bottled/kegged?

Also kinda concerned about sanitizing hops for a dry hop that have last years critters frozen on them.

Should I dry hop them? Boil them? Or toss them? New shoots are already coming up on this years crop.

While frozen, float them in a little StarSan for a few minutes to sanitize anything that may have latched onto them. Let them thaw for a few minutes, then dump them in.

Freezing is the best way to preserve alpha and beta acids, so you're in good shape.

I have been dry-hopping in a Corney Keg for several years with the Surescreen from Northern Brewer: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/surescreen.html

Essentially it is a stainless steel screen tube that fits over the pickup tube of the keg. It is $8 and lasts forever. I see it as the best alternative for dry hopping in the keg because it provides 100% contact with the beer. The hops are not contained within a ball or bag and the hop flavor is much better.

I also "cask condition" AKA naturally carbonate the keg at the same time. Because adding hops also introduces oxygen to the finished beer you will oxidize it to somewhat and it's shelf life and the hop flavor will diminish prematurely. Adding a small amount of priming sugar (1/3 cup in boiled H2O) will cause the yeast to become active again and thus scrub whatever oxygen is contained within the hops.

Give it a try, it works!

Back