Dry hop an anchor steam clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davemattb

Reaction score
Brewed AHS anchor steam clone last weekend. I've actually never had anchor steam so I'm not sure what to expect. I was considering dry hopping. I have lots of hops in my freezer so I'm sure I have something. Looking for something subtle to enhance the flavor and aroma. Just looking for suggestions? Or, should I skip it and keep as is? Not sure if I have an more NOrthern brewer though...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you want it to be like Anchor Steam, then yes, you should dry hop (and you should find an Anchor Steam to try).

Northern Brewer is the definitive steam beer hop. If you don't have enough, you could substitute Galena or Perle, or Ahtanum, Cascade, Cluster, or Brewer's Gold.

I figured that was the answer and I do not have any. 1 or 2 ounces for a 5 gallon batch? Ill see if I can find another local brewer with extra. Not gonna place an order for hops with my freezer full of others. Otherwise, I might try perle

Just wanted to update the thread. I carbonated it and had a taste. It wasn't exactly what I was hoping for. Finally tried an anchor steam and realized I don't love that beer either. AS tasted more bitter which I preferred. I love experimenting, so I pulled the keg out, threw in 2oz ahtanum, let it sit about 12 days, then pulled out hops and rechilled. Keg was very cloudy initially and tasted so-so. After about 3 weeks the beer is fantastic and clear! Reminds me of a pale ale with more malt in the end. The San Fran yeast gives it a really smooth a flavor. Definitely a re-brew in the future. A lot of fans of this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Are any of you old enough to remember how Anchor Steam beer used to taste? Back in the early 70'stages, it was absolutely unique. Very distinctive hop profile. I could have picked it out from a group of 20 beers by its aroma alone. Sometime in the 80s (I think) they dumbed down the recipe and now it tastes like a typical amber. I tried to replicate it once, but couldn't get close. It had a very full, malty flavor and, like I indicated above, a hop profile like no other.

I've just brewed my second one of these, and all I used was the 3 ounces of Northern Brewer. It's fairly hoppy, IMO, and given the style, I wouldn't think you'd want much more.

Back