Drunken MLS Supporters Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talgrath

Reaction score
So, seeing as there is a thread on football (Americana), I was wondering if any of my fellow beer drinkers on the forum are supporters of MLS teams. To that end, a thread about talking trash or just MLS in general. I'll get it started, SOUNDERS ARE TAKING THE OPEN CUP, SUPPORTERS SHIELD AND MLS CUP THIS YEAR, FIRST TO PULL OFF THE TRINITY! SUCK IT PORTLAND! *Ahem*

Is this about Hockey? I don't know much about Hockey.

Yes, it's called grass hockey (football or soccer is an abbreviation). In grass hockey there's no pads or checking and they have more players on the field (called a pitch).

C'mon over to the horribly unpopular soccer thread. Being a Rave Green supporter you'll fit right in with helping me pitch the resident galaxy fan all the craps he can handle. Lot of international talk as well if that's what you are into.

That thread, however, is not in a place where we can throw out some offensive ****.

Ehh, well either way it looks like most folks on the forum aren't soccer fans, sad day.

Ehh, well either way it looks like most folks on the forum aren't soccer fans, sad day.

Soccer? .... MLS and I was expecting real estate listings.
I did however try to watch soccer a week or two ago....... it could not have been more boring! A half hour of kicking the ball around and still no score. Had to change the channel because I was falling asleep. How do you get excited about guys running?

Soccer? .... MLS and I was expecting real estate listings.
I did however try to watch soccer a week or two ago....... it could not have been more boring! A half hour of kicking the ball around and still no score. Had to change the channel because I was falling asleep. How do you get excited about guys running?
Here's some Portland Fans (management from other teams in completely different sports travel to Portland to study how to get fans involved) after a 0-0 draw.

[ame]http://vimeo.com/121706872[/ame]

Best fans in MLS, and yeah doesn't seem all that exiting.

Then there's this

Someone's gonna die tonight

Last edited by a moderator:
That is exactly why I never could get into soccer when I was younger. I could never understand the violence of the fans watching. It is after all just a sport where as a fan you have absolutely no vested interest in the outcome, Unless you bet on it. I am a broncos fan but I never bet on it and never buy broncos merchandise. The only reason I have been to a game is because I have a kick a$$ wife. The only reason I have a broncos shirt, blanket, cup, etc is because other people buy them. Personally I would rather have a new battery for my tools or something like that. Why spend money on crappie that won't work for you when you can put the money away and retire a day sooner.

That is exactly why I never could get into soccer when I was younger. I could never understand the violence of the fans watching. It is after all just a sport where as a fan you have absolutely no vested interest in the outcome, Unless you bet on it. I am a broncos fan but I never bet on it and never buy broncos merchandise. The only reason I have been to a game is because I have a kick a$$ wife. The only reason I have a broncos shirt, blanket, cup, etc is because other people buy them. Personally I would rather have a new battery for my tools or something like that. Why spend money on crappie that won't work for you when you can put the money away and retire a day sooner.
In the US, soccer is a game. For most of the world football is religion.

I thought it was some kind of crippling disease. I was gonna donate.

It is but throwing money at it won't cure the funny talkers! The symptoms are (in no particular order) yelling, cursing, falling out of a stadium, pushing others out of the stadium, fighting, rioting, burning cars or turning them upside-down, breaking windows, stripping off articles of clothing, running wildly down the street etc....

The fact is that the violence happens in Football (American) too...it's just less organized. Have you been to a football game lately, particularly in the nosebleed sections? There's at least one fight per game, even in pre-season. If you go to bars in cities where loyalties might be divided (such as New York) fistfights are not uncommon. Most soccer (aka everywhere else football) in Europe is relatively violence free, but when it does happen it's between two relatively well-organized groups; usually soccer violence stems from the "Ultras", groups of unusually dedicated fans that often have racist and violent associations.

That said, generally speaking soccer violence in the US is rare; even between intense rivals like Portland and Seattle, it's very rare to see even a fistfight break out. Last year when a mudslide wiped out a town and killed multiple people (including a friend of mine), Portland fans donated money to help victims of the mudslides and their families. I've only ever heard of one group of violent fans in the US, the 1906 Ultras from San Jose; and even the club reprimanded those guys.

Sooo...since this is actually getting some traction, I'll repost here some thoughts I had on the start of the MLS season.

1. A Less Violent Game?'
The refs were harder on fouls and even threw out two second yellows for persistent infringement, could MLS be moving towards a less violent play style? The refs were also harder on "simulation", particularly in Orlando the refs pulled out the yellow card for multiple "simulation" situations. On Sunday, the only game that didn't see a second yellow for multiple infringements was Sounders vs Revolution (two teams known for being "soft" in the league).

2. Big Money Pays Off
Whether it's Altidore's brace, the Dempsey and Martins show in Seattle, NYCFC vs Orlando or Keane in LA, the vast majority of goals were scored by designated players this weekend. With a few exceptions (I'm looking at you Villa!) MLS designated players showed why they earn the big bucks. The new CBA increases the minimum salary, but it's pretty clear why teams continue to chase the "right" designated player.

3. Fox Sports Did...Okay
A lot of people were worried because Fox Sports is taking over from the very excellent NBC/NBCSN soccer coverage, and that's a very valid concern; that said, Fox Sports did okay this weekend. While the announcing for Sporting vs Red Bulls was terrible (seriously, super bad, like hearing paint dry), Lalas and Strong make an excellent "A team" of announcers. Even if you dislike Lalas (I do!) there's no doubt his team is superior by a large distance to the "B team" and that even if you don't like his opinion he at least expresses it in an entertaining way. From an in studio perspective, Landon Donovan may be an excellent analyst from a technical perspective, but the man needs to let some emotion into his voice; I think he will improve. Overall, I can't complain too much about their coverage, after all, NBCSN stumbled a bit at the outing too.

4. Unimas is a Problem
The opening game was on Unimas, but Unimas is not on the vast majority of cable and satellite packages. Set aside, for the moment, the idea of a primarily English speaking country having to turn on SAP to understand what is being said by the announcers, the fact that Unimas isn't on most TVs is an issue. I've heard that Unimas had a live stream that was free, after the fact, but MLS didn't advertise this, perhaps because they have a pay to watch streaming service themselves. MLS needs to sort this out and either advertise the live stream or find an alternative way to get this on most TV sets.

5. Sloppy Openers
Most of the games on tap this opening weekend were pretty sloppy, filled with fouls and restarts. Part of this is because of the refs finally clamping down on fouls (see 1.), but I think a lot of frustration and jitters from the CBA are a factor here too. I'd expect to see smoother games come next month.

Yes. I went to one a few years ago because the wife bought me tickets for .... well just because she is kick a$$. Broncos v kc in kc. No fights any where near us but saw one in the parking lot. The overall atmosphere was not a very pleasant experience not outright bad but definitely not conducive to me ever spending money on a game. Nothing like the things I have seen in the aftermath of a soccer game. But hey who am I to say that people acting like animals is wrong? Anyway back to fires and rioting in the stadiums of the funny talkers.
Funny thing is that I am from Vancouver and had no idea there were soccer teams in Portland or Seattle. Is this the same league as the funny talker teams?

Funny talkers? Not sure what you mean, but Vancouver, Portland and Seattle are all in MLS now, yes. Portland, Seattle and Vancouver have a longstanding northwest rivalry, and there's even a fan-created cup called the Cascadia Cup for the team that does the best between the three in the regular season.

Back