Dropped something in my wort as it was cooling.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpsterboy

Reaction score
I just started cooling my wort with my wort chiller when I friggen dropped a magnet that was attached to my thermometer in my wort. Aggghhhh. The temp was around 150. I couldn't fish it out, as I was going to do, then at least bring to a boil again. The magnet was clearly not sanitized as it was not supposed to fall into my wort, but I am hoping it didn't ruin my batch. I proceeded as usual and cooled it to 75 and pitched my yeast. Anyone have any suggestions or has this ever happened to any of you and how did it turn out. I think it will be a wait and see I guess.

I will answer by saying before I got a copper wort chiller someone told me to just use bags of ice to dip into the wort to cool it off. (Yes, that's dumb) Anyways, I used freezer bags full of ice and well.... once the wort cooled one bag was empty! Ugh... but the beer came out great so it's just a toss up if there will be anything in there to contaminate. I think you will be OK since it was dropped when the wort was still hot.

I also agree that at 150 F when the magnet fell in you should be good. Just keep an eye on it through primary fermentation and check for signs of infection.

the chances are very slim that the magnet will be carrying enough bad bugs to overwhelm the sacc yeast.

You'll be perfectly fine. I once accidentally dropped my stainless steel thermometer in with 30 minutes still remaining in the boil. I couldn't get it so I left it in and nothing turned out bad. No off flavors or infections that I could notice.

Thanks---It is fermenting nicely about 6hrs after pitching. What would an infection look like exactly in primary? This is an IPA about 7.6% with IBU's around 120.

it deserves a name now that has to do with that magnet! like so many of my mistakes (like barbie going for a swim in the wort once) that name is unique for that batch and a story behind the name when/if someone asks... magnetic ipa, attractive force ipa and so on.. if it gets and infection but drinkable it could be a fatal attraction ipa :mug:

No, I did not transfer the magnet to the primary. It was in the wort as it was cooling for about 15 minutes.

I had a IPA where I dropped something into it after pitching the yeast while putting the lid on. I was unable to fish it out with my spoon so I had to just stick my arm in there and pull it out. The beer turned out just fine.

I recently dropped a phone charger into my bottling bucket while bottling my Wit. Fished it out with my bare arm, which had just been up to the elbow in a cow's a** trying to assist with a birthing. No problem with the beer.

*the up to the elbow in a cow's a** thing isn't true. I'm sorry.

One time I dropped a dirty measure tape in my cooled wort. In a panic I reached in pulled it out and pitched my yeast. Turned out fine.

Yeast does a good job at cleaning up after us stupid human creatures.

Dropped my turkey baster in once, sanitized my arm and went in for it. Have the beer a big stir and mix since I figured I was already in there and I could feel the temperature difference between my wort and top off water.

Literally my best beer yet.

Latest posts

Back