dropped plastic in boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drummerboyas157

Reaction score
What would happen hypothetically speaking of course if you dropped a plastic wrapper about 3 inch by 1/2 an inch (liquid malt container seal) into your boil and were unable to find it?

That's probably about the same amount of petroleum product as in the typical slice of American "cheese".

:tank:

I kid, of course. I really have no idea. If you let it ferment and it didn't melt, it should settle to the bottom of the fermenter.

Personally I say RDWHAHB. That is not a lot of plastic and even if it completely melted in the beer I don't think it would be enough of anything to kill you. Still I would proceed with caution just in case. Sample the beer along the way and see if it tastes off or not, and the first time you drink the finished product even if it tastes fine I would not have more than 1 until I was confident it was safe.

I would definitely send it my way so I can sample it and be sure it's safe for consumption, no guarantee you'll get any returned though;)

boiling wont dissolve plastic wrap - just simply not hot enough. likely you have a small ball of plastic in your trub. considering many of us ferment in food grade plastic, i wouldn't think twice. it's food grade.

but if you find a clear ball of plastic in the bottom of your glass, i'd spit it out after getting the brew off of it.

Back