Drips from oven hood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jobe5217

Reaction score
I was wondering how others deal with the drips coming from the hood above an oven. I live in a rental and the hood is old and greasy on the underside. During my first (and only) brew I noticed that after the full boil had been going for a while, with the exhaust fan on high, that water was dripping into my pot! Fortunately there was no affect on flavor and it turned out well.

At this point I am confined to the kitchen for brewing but I would like a floor burner or something in the future. My only solution at this point is to wipe the hood with a paper towel frequently. Is it okay to lower boil temp?

You want a vigorous boil, especially if you're doing all grain brewing. I've only brewed on kitchen stoves (3 different ones) and can't say I've ever had this problem. I don't think this is a sanitation issue, but I wouldn't want weird oily crap dripping in my beer either.

Maybe just do what you can to clean/degrease the grate on the hood and then stop worrying about it? Is it a recirculating hood or does it actually vent outside? If it's just a recirculating one you could always cover it up with aluminum foil at the start of your brewday. I just keep enough air going through the kitchen that condensation isn't much of a problem.

A fan to move air around in the kitchen? I had some of that happen when I was first brewing. You should be ok as it is boiling and even if the drips are contaminated they will become sanitized in the boil. I say clean the greasy mess out from under the hood and dont worry about it.

I'll be the weirdo that says to ask your landlord to replace it. If it's gross enough to be dripping into your food etc then it poses a "health" issue and should be replaced. The worst they can do is say no. Those are the types of things landlords overlook when going through the apartment between tenants, he/she likely won't mind replacing it as that type of thing falls under general maintenance and they should have a budget for that.

Just a thought.

For now, don't worry about it, or drape aluminum foil under it to catch the drops.

Keep an eye on it and wipe it off, that's what I do. I do 4 gallon all grain batches inside, because that's what I like to do. Also, have the vent fan on while you brew.

Thank you all for the good tips! I think I will just wipe away condensation and try and get the hood replaced.

This would happen at my previous rental. The fan had a filter which was gross! I think had I replaced it, it would have aided the fan to actual be able to blow out the air. I also recommend a standalone fan to blow the steam away from the hood a bit until it can be replaced.

I kinda have that problem,I just wipe it and its also clean or precleaned before my boil. I turn on the fans and windows during the boil,it helps with the condensation so I may only have to wipe it once or twice duing the boil. Just keep it clean and watch it towards the end of boil.

Latest posts

Back