Drinking my first ever homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benton45

Reaction score
So I bought the Brewers Best kit and the IPA kit for it. Told the guy at the store I wanted more hops and he suggested 2 oz of whatever hop I like. I added Columbus at 30 minutes.

Today marks 3 weeks since bottling and I cracked one open. Doesn't taste quite right.

The color is good, a dark amber color. A little darker than I expected. The head is a good color and consistency. just tastes a little off.

The guy at the homebrew store told me when I bought it all that if it is nasty sour when its done then it is infected.

It doesn't taste nasty sour, just not right. Does it need more time in the bottle to be ready?

Any advice or comments are welcome.

I'm doing the same with my first APA. I decided to open one after a week to see what it was like and learn about the process. It's green but better than the small sample I tried on bottling day (and already carbed up quite nice) Give it more time, it will taste better.

I'm doing the same with my first APA. I decided to open one after a week to see what it was like and learn about the process. It's green but better than the small sample I tried on bottling day (and already carbed up quite nice) Give it more time, it will taste better.

cool.. yeah 3 weeks is this friday.. it just seems off. I am curious about water type used. The brewer at the homebrew store said any water is fine so I used tap.

It just seems that the chlorine in tap might effect it. oh well. I've honestly had worse IPAs than this and am gonna drink another one to finish off the night.. then save the other 22 for a couple more weeks.

Here are some questions I can think of right off the bat...

How long did you ferment the beer for?

Where did you store the fermenter and what temperature did it ferment at?

Did you use tap water? Was it well water? What water did you use?

Did you sanitize everything before using it?

Also, if you could post the recipe, that might help us help you.

Here are some questions I can think of right off the bat...

How long did you ferment the beer for?

Where did you store the fermenter and what temperature did it ferment at?

Did you use tap water? Was it well water? What water did you use?

Did you sanitize everything before using it?

Also, if you could post the recipe, that might help us help you.

in the primary for 8 days and in the bottle for 3 weeks. I followed the directions of the kit.

Stored the fermenter in my closet and it maintained a temperature of 69-72, which fell under the specs of the kit

Tap water, city.

I sanitized like it was the thing to do. I literally was so anal about sanitation.

Man.. the recipe.. I bought a Brewers Best IPA kit. I think the directions are now in the trash. Standard IPA. I told the brewer at the store I like hoppiness and love columbus so he recommended adding 2 oz of columbus at 30 minutes.

I hopped it at 5, 30 and 55 .. not 100% sure of the amounts but I think 1.5 cascade and 1 of columbus at 5, 2 oz of columbus at 30 and 1 oz of cascade at 55...

Did you check your gravity readings. Invest in one if you plan on brewing more, they are cheap.give them more time,are you experienced and familiar with craft beers commercially?If not maybe you are not familiar with craft beer much making it seem like it doesnt taste right.

Did you check your gravity readings. Invest in one if you plan on brewing more, they are cheap.give them more time,are you experienced and familiar with craft beers commercially?If not maybe you are not familiar with craft beer much making it seem like it doesnt taste right.

og was 1.066

the final gravity was 1.014

that calculator puts me at 6.69%abv

hop schedule:

1 oz cascade 55 min
2 oz Columbus at 30 min
1.5 oz cascade at 5 min
2 oz Columbus at 5 min

I drink craft beer all the time. Really all I drink unless im at a game and am drinking stadium beer.

8 days in primary seems a little short for me. I wouldn't do anything less then 3 weeks but I know some people do go shorter.

8 days isn't enough time in the fermenter. Did you just randomly go with 8 or did you use a hydrometer?

Typically, you want to check the gravity over a 3 day period to determine if its done fermenting. Even IF it was done fermenting, the yeast is still active in cleaning up off flavors. I'm guessing that's what you are tasting.

What is the off flavor?

I can't pinpoint it. its not sour or anything.. just seems harsh for an IPA.

It almost reminds me of a Stone IPA that is just a tough drink...

random question.. if it is contaminated would i have to worry about drinking a couple?

I plowed through the first one out of excitement kinda and want to crack another to slow my roll and be more investigative.

under the circumstance that it is infected would I have any health concerns?

I really don't think it is infected though. It is totally drinkable, just not a good beer to be honest.

8 days isn't enough time in the fermenter. Did you just randomly go with 8 or did you use a hydrometer?

Typically, you want to check the gravity over a 3 day period to determine if its done fermenting. Even IF it was done fermenting, the yeast is still active in cleaning up off flavors. I'm guessing that's what you are tasting.

yeah.. the kit I bought said after 5 days to check the gravity.. and on 2 consecutive days of the same gravity after that to bottle.. days 7 and 8 were the same reading.

If this is the case do you simply suggest committing to longer primary? Given this batch will the flavor improve sitting longer in the bottle? Or is it what it is?

Time. Brew another.Drink some other.Forget about them,let them age some in the mean time,if your not happy .

If this is the case do you simply suggest committing to longer primary? Given this batch will the flavor improve sitting longer in the bottle? Or is it what it is?

Definately let it primary longer. 3-4 weeks will make a big difference. The flavor will improve over time, but when you added sugar to carbonate, the yeast goes back to eating/fermenting a little more. Give it a little more time. Try to remember the off taste you have now and compare it in a week. In the meantime, get another batch fermenting.

Otherwise, it sounds like you did well. Next time you make an IPA, try dry hoping it. About a week before you bottle add an ounce to the beer then seal it back up until you are ready to bottle.

cool. thanks for all the input and advice.

I have 2 more in the fridge that I put in earlier. It's drinkable so im gonna drink them cause theyre there..

I will let them sit for a few weeks in the bottle and try my next brew. Hopefully it works.. its a weird idea but why the hell not try it.

It sucks, I know. MORE waiting....

"The term "secondary fermentation" is something of a misnomer as no fermentation is actually occurring during this stage; rather, the beer is conditioning, clearing, and bulk aging. In some cases dry hopping may also be done at this point in the process. This period allows solids and yeast to settle out (resulting in clearer beer) and for volatile compounds to mellow, while the flavors meld and evolve. "

Source

Do a search on here for 'how long in primary' and read why people do what they do. Obviously, you can get drinkable beer in about a week, but you can make that same beer better by waiting a little longer.

cool.. thanks again. I really appreciate the advice.

this beer is drinkable just not great. im gonna drink what I chilled then let the rest hang out for a few more weeks. Maybe I will give one a go on Halloween.

the process is really fun though. I enjoyed the brew and the anticipation is crazy.

This might sound totally retarded but I want to make a brown with hickory and maple bacon flavor.

I was talking to the brewer at the homebrew store nearby and he told me to dump 1lb of good maple bacon in the brew and remove it before putting it in the fermenter.. then he said to put hickory chips in about 8oz of vodka and add that when I go to bottle to taste.

I figure why not try weird stuff since im gonna be trying to do this. You can go to the store and buy what you know you like. Might as well be creative if making it.

I know it probably sounds weird for a brew but I always thought brown ale would be awesome with a hint of hickory and maple, then bacon came to mind.

Generally harsh or sharp tastes are perfect cues that the beer is a bit green and could use some more age on it. Time mellows the rough edges. I'm often amazed at how rough beer tastes when I'm bottling/kegging it then in a few weeks it's delicious

Generally harsh or sharp tastes are perfect cues that the beer is a bit green and could use some more age on it. Time mellows the rough edges. I'm often amazed at how rough beer tastes when I'm bottling/kegging it then in a few weeks it's delicious

cool. appreciate it.. ya.. im drinking the 2nd of 3 that i refrigerated today and thats all it is. just harsh.. really unrefined.

it tastes like it could be a really good beer. It has a great earthy taste on the palette and a really nice hoppy kick in the aftertaste.. just really really unrefined and harsh.

I will re-visit it in a few weeks. I hope it transforms into something really tasty.

overall, from my first brew ever I was worried it was ruined but after the advice in this thread it seems that I was just a bit zealous in cracking one open.

If you use the wood chips, add them a good week before you bottle as well. If you add them and then bottle right away, the beer really isn't going to have time to absorb the flavor from the wood.

Again, the 'search' on here is your friend, especially when you want to get creative. Plenty of people have used maple and wood chips and I'm sure someone has tried bacon at some point. Maybe you are the 1st to try all 3, maybe someone tried it and put out something you could use or start from. Sounds interesting though.

Congrats on your first!!! Everytime you brew a batch, you refine your process on your quest to the perfect pint-

search or google "Late extract additions" in regards to LME and carmelization that may contribute to a perceived harsh flavor or twang as well as lighten the color of your beer.

If you use the wood chips, add them a good week before you bottle as well. If you add them and then bottle right away, the beer really isn't going to have time to absorb the flavor from the wood.

Again, the 'search' on here is your friend, especially when you want to get creative. Plenty of people have used maple and wood chips and I'm sure someone has tried bacon at some point. Maybe you are the 1st to try all 3, maybe someone tried it and put out something you could use or start from. Sounds interesting though.

awesome. thanks for the advice. This is my first night on the forum and it has pretty much been dedicated to this thread. I look forward to getting ideas and advice in my future brewing.

Congrats on your first!!! Everytime you brew a batch, you refine your process on your quest to the perfect pint-

search or google "Late extract additions" in regards to LME and carmelization that may contribute to a perceived harsh flavor or twang as well as lighten the color of your beer.

cool. I will do that...

on a major positive note the beer might be a little harsh and unrefined but it tastes fundamentally sound and has a decent abv.. i have a little buzz going from 2 bombers.. I like that..

I really appreciate all the advice and tips regarding brewing and the forum in general. cheers!

My IPA got really good at week 4 or 5,using o2 barrier caps as well. But 8 days is too quick. I think many instruction sets are more for quick turnover on the part of the brewer. Sell more kits,that is. I don't check mine for a 1st FG reading til the 2 week mark. It usually takes that long to get close to a stable FG. After initial,vigorous fermentation,it slows down till it reaches FG,then needs 3-5 days to clean up & settle out more. That would've made your beer a lot better at 3 weeks.

All you need is a bit more time of bottle conditioning. My first batch ever was a Fat Tire Clone from AHS. I primaried for 3-1/2 weeks and didn't try any until 2 weeks in the bottle. It was good, but still rather harsh tasting. I gave it another week and things got better. By week 5 or 6 in the bottle, it was amazing. By this point I only had less than a case left. I was as patient as I could be, but obivously wished I had most of it left once things got good. Now I try one at 3 weeks in the bottle and if things aren't were I want them to be I go another 2 weeks before I try any more. Patience is a virtue with brewing!!!!

All you need is a bit more time of bottle conditioning. My first batch ever was a Fat Tire Clone from AHS. I primaried for 3-1/2 weeks and didn't try any until 2 weeks in the bottle. It was good, but still rather harsh tasting. I gave it another week and things got better. By week 5 or 6 in the bottle, it was amazing. By this point I only had less than a case left. I was as patient as I could be, but obivously wished I had most of it left once things got good. Now I try one at 3 weeks in the bottle and if things aren't were I want them to be I go another 2 weeks before I try any more. Patience is a virtue with brewing!!!!

BigTerp, have you got that Dogfish Head clone in the fermenter yet? I'm seeing that your primary #2 is empty, and that just seems wrong. :)

BigTerp, have you got that Dogfish Head clone in the fermenter yet? I'm seeing that your primary #2 is empty, and that just seems wrong. :)

HA!! An empty primary is blasphemy. I'm actually brewing Yoopers recipe on Sunday, along with a cream ale to try and get my wife drinking some homebrew. The Pacman is on its second, and final step spinning away on my stirstarter as I type this. I had to borrow my buddies 5 gal. carboy so I could dry hop my IPA and free up a bucket for Sunday. I only have 2 fermenting buckets and a glass carboy which is currently occupied with EdWorts apfelwein.........guess it's time to buy a third bucket.

The harshness could be from the water. I am not sure about Glendale but I know Tucson has some pretty hard water and if the chemistry is off balance it could make the hoppiness seem a bit rougher!

High sulfate levels can make the hops seem a bit harsh!

Just throwing this out there but benton, if you can find a water analysis for your water supply that may help identify a potential issue for future brews and if your tap has chlorine it may be a good idea to let the water sit for 24 hours or so to "de-chlorinate" or you could boil it and cool it down too.

Worst case scenario if it is water chemistry issues you can always brew with bottled water.

Just something more to look into but should not be too big of a problem!

Good luck and I hope it is just a time issue cause that is the easiest problem to fix cause I know we all just love to wait around for our beers to mature:cross:

Back