Drilling through side of refrigerator!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeCap09

Reaction score
Helllo..I'm pretty excited I get all my kegging stuff tommorow and I am using my old refrigerator for a kegerator. Anyways, I have a GE TBX21JI and I am wanting to drill through the side of the refrigerator. I have the refrigerator in my utility room in my basement. It is up against a wall which shares the finished part of the basement. I want to put the faucets on this wall. So I would like to drill through (left side if your facing the refrigerator) side that is up against this wall. I know a little about refrigerators and have read a bunch of threads on here about how to find where lines may run but I think I just want to double check with everyone. I think this is the diagram for it:

tbx21 Parts List

Thanks! (I could post pics if need be)

Looks like you'll be fine - don't drill too close to the back of the unit though...I'd leave a solid 4" on the back side. If you hear hissing, you're done for.....

Ok cool. I was hoping to drill more towards the front on the side. I just realized that there are more models of the TBX21JI. I'll have to check to see what the rest of the numbers and letters are. Unless they are all pretty much the same?

tbx21ji Parts List

if you're worried about hitting a coolant line, drill a small pilot hole (without pushing in too deep), then fish around with a piece of wire and see if you hit anything. if you don't, you're safe to drill the bigger hole.

did the wire trick on a freezer. It turned out there was a 90˚ bent tube right against the wall I was drilling and I did not feel it with the wire, I went up one size at a time until the hissing started. UGH.
With the parts diagram, and some care, you should be able to pull this off easily.

It looks like there isn't anything on the diagram on the side but I'm not sure if these diagrams show everything. I gotta make a stop and get some hole saw bits from harbor freight tonight.

I drilled 2 holes for dual regulator co2 lines. Most stand up fridges (not freezers) only have foam insulation in the side walls. Try the pilot hole & wire trick.

pilot hole worked for me on my ge fridge. from the inside drill the hole large enough to poke around in the foam to be sure the path is clear then drill away . be sure to seal inside and out so the door seals properly

Ok thanks for sll the advice, I'll probably do this tuesday. Should regular silicone work for sealing?

I did it yesterday, finally! I haven't had time the last month to do much. But I should have beer flowing through my taps by the weekend :D Everything worked and there is a keg of stout chilling on co2 right as we speak.

I want to post pictures of my project...but I think I have to do it on my profile?

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

sounds like a plan... I kegged 2 beers and a apfelwine-like beverage already..haha...they are all carbing right now. Hopefully I have no leaks or anything but it seems like the guys from kegconnection put the kit together really good. They were really helpful and cheap for all the stuff I bought. Plus they fixed my order after I received it in a very timely manner. I received the parts I was missing within a couple days. Awesome.

I tried converted my Kenmore TF to a Keggerator and everything was going as smooth as planned. Looked great took pics...posted a secondary inside and high. Then went to go drill for my line.

Made the pilot hole in the back corner below the bottom shelf line (was trying to be discrete with the hole)...fished around with the drill bit I pulled from the drill and didnt feel anything but foam. Felt it was clear and then........well u know.

My only advice is don't drill in the back. I'm devastated because I purchased a new fridge for the kitchen so I could convert this only to have it go to shame. I really liked the model refrigerator i was converting and I don;t really want to do with a much older model.

So if I fork out for a newer used model..I want to get it done without a disaster again. Can anyone tell me where to find the schematics for whichever model I end up with. I'll still fish for lines again but would help if I understood the layout better.

For my fermentation fridge I used a pair of tin snips to cut a 1" square of the plastic on the INSIDE of the fridge before I drilled. Then you can use your finger instead of a wire. Hell, I even drilled from the inside. No chance to hit anything you don't want to.

Hammy I like your advice. I am so afraid to strike gold again on the next attempt. Also, before I do I want to pay my beer karma ahead of time and post these pics for anyone looking to do this on their own.

As you can see, I drilled (where the screwdriver is inserted into the fridge wall) the ONLY line in the whole wall! BEWARE:This particular refrigerator had 1 Freon line running diagonally from the top front to the bottom back.

My advice: Don't just probe. The foam will make it harder to discover a single line pressed up against the outside wall shell of the box.And if you do just probe and drill, go low and forward or high and back. :0

IMG_7765.JPG

IMG_7766.JPG

Hey guys. I can't believe this thread still exists haha. I been out of the brewing game for awhile and need some motivation so I came back on here! My kegerator is still running but I have been putting non-homebrew on tap for the last year and a half. Everything works as it originally did. I think i just need to clean out or buy new lines since i haven't used some of them for a long time.

Back