Drilling recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
Just picked up a Whirlpool arm and have to drill a 1" hole in my Kettle. I got a step drill bit to do this and have oil to lubricate while drilling. Anyone have tips on drilling through my stainless Kettle? I really don't want to mess up a $150 pot! Thanks in advance!

1. Measure multiple times. Make sure its exactly where you want it.
2. Get a center punch to make an indentation for the starter bit
3. Use a 1/8" cobalt tipped WELL lubed bit to make the first hole. Step bits are trash making the first hole.
4. Use lots and lots of lube. If there's one tip, it's this. Use the right cutting oil.
5. If you're making more than 1 hole don't use the cheap step bits. Throw down the coin for the $50-70 bit. Its painful, but it's worth it.
6. Go slow. The drill need not turn at full speed and in fact the optimal speed becomes less as the hole gets larger.
7. Apply enough pressure to cut, but don't push too hard. A little smoke is OK but if its getting too smokey just put the drill down and walk away.

^All good advice^

I'll add, when using the punch, don't wimp out and just tap it to make a tiny divot. Remember you're going to be drilling out a comparatively huge hole, so give the punch a good enough whack to make a dime-size well to hold your cutting lubricant. It'll help keep your pilot bit from overheating the stainless and hardening it.

And the rpms with the pilot bit should be in the ~200 range, with lots of pressure.
Too fast and the bit will fry instead of cut.

Finally, triple check that hole diameter you're going for. I've drilled and mounted at least a dozen valves, sparge arms, dial gauges, sight gauges, etc, and the largest hole was 13/16"...

Cheers!

Back