Drilling my fridge...from the side

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaggyt

Reaction score
Hoping for some guidance here...I'm moving my CO2 tank out of my converted fridge. I need to drill through the side of the fridge to do so. The fridge is a GE from the '80's (I think, avocado green) and I assume there's some wiring and/or freon lines in the sides but I'm unsure.

Looking for any techniques, advice, bewares, etc before I start making this happen.

My original thought was to drill small from the exterior and probe with a coat hanger, but I don't necessarily want more than two holes in the side (dual regulators).

Any thoughts?

My original thought was to drill small from the exterior and probe with a coat hanger, but I don't necessarily want more than two holes in the side (dual regulators).

Any thoughts?

Would it be better to drill the hole from the inside? Not that big of a deal if needs to be moved.

I drilled four holes in the side of my Maytag side-by-side for some taps. I started from the outside with a small hole drilled just through the sheet metal and then probed around before continuing the small hole all the way through. Next, I used the small hole as a pilot hole for my hole saw. Again, I just cut through the outer skin and then removed the insulation manually to be sure nothing was in the way. I then moved the hole saw to the inside and drilled towards the outside to complete my holes. I see no reason that this couldn't be reversed and done from the inside out.

I'm pretty sure most full size, upright refrigerators have all the lines and junk in the back. Especially the older ones. You should easily be able to see cooling lines on the back and all the wiring etc is probably in the bottom. I think the compact size of the dorm refrigerators cause the manufacturers to put some cooling lines on top or on the sides. I would drill away!

The refrigerators have condensor lines that run around the front face where the door seals to prevent condensation. Lift inner liner and probe before drilling as the lines usually are up against exterior skin of refigerator, you might be unlucky and hit one with pilot hole.

I used an awl to punch a small hole then used a coat hanger to feel around before i drilled holes

I drilled my fridge from the outside, however I found it hard to stop the drill bit from plunging on through to the plastic on the inside once it pierced the thin metal on the outside. I was lucky and didn't hit anything vital. If I was to do it again, I would try starting from the inside just to be safe.

The surefire way to be right about this is to find the repair schematic online. Everything else is speculatory at best.. a lot of good ideas yes but speculatory. and another point to be aware of.. after you have the repair schematic.. keep in mind some freon lines have a bit of play in them and can migrate.. also older units were hand built will not stay true to the repair schematic 100% of the time. I would not drill from the inside personally. I do not like going into anything blind... there is a moethod to detect freon lines from the outside.. A paste-like consistancy mixture of alcohol (random type tequila rum etc) and i think it was baking soda. and you put it on the side and let the refridge run. if there are lines there you will see partings in the paste at those points. weve used this method when building kegerators to locate wandered freon lines. but those units were black so easy to see the paste on. i would speculate that a food coloring could help if it were on white.. one concern.. it would dye the white surface possibly. (might do a test spot on the back).

Back