Drilling Anodized Aluminum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie

Reaction score
I have an anodized aluminum turkey fryer pot that I've been using for a number of years to heat brewing water, etc. It was one of those Thermos turkey fryer setups that came from Target. I ditched the burner and kept the pot.

I'm considering using it as a kettle for small batches, so I don't have to drag out my keggle if I want to do a 3 gallon batch.

If I do this, I'll want to add a ball valve. I have a step bit and successfully drilled a hole in my keggle with little issue.

Am I going to encounter any issues drilling into this anodized aluminum? Will it cause the finish to start flaking in that area? Other thoughts?

I worked as a solar PV installer a few years back and drilling through anodized aluminum rails was common practice. I never saw any separation of the anodization from the base metal. Anodizing is actually applied via an electrical/molecular process of increasing the Aluminum oxide layer rather than an applied layer like paint.

The only concern I see is Aluminum is VERY soft compared to the SS keggle, so with a stepped bit be careful not to overshoot/over drill.
Good Luck!

The only concern I see is Aluminum is VERY soft compared to the SS keggle, so with a stepped bit be careful not to overshoot/over drill.
Good Luck!

Well, the step bit only goes up to 7/8", and that's the right hole size. No worries there.

It was a bear getting through that keggle. Glad to hear this will be easier.

It+1 on Ital.
The anodize is an oxide layer that is formed from the base aluminum. Rather than a coating that is applied to a base material. So it shouldn't flake or peel off. It is also pretty thin, so a drill bit won't have any issues getting through. After that, its just like drilling regular aluminum.

Back