Drill reducer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody know where one could get an inexpensive speed reducer for a hand-held drill? I've tried Google, but I must not know what terms to use. I thought for sure someone would make such an item.

Dunno man... I bought a low speed 7.6 amp drill at Harbor Freight for my mill

I am willing to bet a keg of homebrew that you can buy a low rpm drill cheaper than any gear reduction set up. Just my two cents....

They are called drill speed reducers and they are used to slow the speed of a drill when using large diameter hole saws. They are an industrial item so finding one cheap is going to be tough. I actually have one I'd be willing to sell. It's a 2:1 ratio and has a 1/2" input shaft and a standard 1/2-20NF threaded output shaft. It's NOS in it's original box. PM me if you are interested.

Tom

Home Depot sells a right angle drive drill attachment which has a 2:1 gear reduction for about $20. I have one that I originally bought to use with my mill, but since then I acquired a gear motor that I'm now using.

Agree that a cheap low speed or VSR drill on a cord (not battery) will likely cost you less. Or you could set up a belt and pulley wheel system if you are into that sort of thing.

Well, the low speed would be nice, but more torque is what I'm after. I planned on using my dad's old 3/8 drill that's been around forever (rebuilt twice), but it's smoking after a few minutes. The largest problem may be the diameter of the crusher rollers. I built this crusher myself and had no idea how much force would be necessary to crush the grains.

Thanks for the offer, Figbash, but if I had my 1/2" drill running, I probably wouldn't need it. I have to rebuild the part that holds the brushed in place and never got around to doing it.

I'll look for that right angle drive reducer. I could use one of those around the house anyway. I have several motors on hand, but none are slow enough to consider using without much hassle, and I already have enough projects on my plate. For the brewing that I will be doing, it wouldn't be hard to hand-crank my grain. Or have my daughter do it...

Most low speed drills are high torque, because they have a built in gear reduction. That is what mine is.

It has an internal gear reduction, it is 7.6 amps, it will break your wrist...

OH, is it a 1/2" drive low speed drill from Harbor Freight... I love it!

Back