Dregs for Flanders Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TastyAdventure

Reaction score
So The variety of Flanders Reds on the shelves is pretty slim. To make it worse, the two available in my region are known to be pasteurized.

What type of sour beer would have a similar culture balance as a good Flanders Red? Would Oud Bruin dregs work?

I don't want to just throw dregs from any sour into my Flanders Red and hope.

I love in Louisville Ky, so if there are any beers specifically distributed in this area that you know of, please share!

Flanders are tough because many of the classic examples are pasteurized to retain the malt profile.

Our Bruin dregs will work just fine.

But try to sneak over the state line and find yourself some Jolly Pumpkin!

Our Bruin dregs will work just fine.

But try to sneak over the state line and find yourself some Jolly Pumpkin!

They distribute here. I LOVE La Roja but it is one of the few Jolly Pumpkins I have not seen on the shelves around here in about a year.
Supposedly La Roja is the only JP beer that uses a different culture than all the others

If you want authentic Flanders, I'd recommend using several strains of wild yeast and bacteria in the barrel. Mine gets two saccharo's, two Brett's, two lacto's and one pedio. First a saccharo in primary, then saccharo, lacto's and Brett's when it goes in barrels, then pedio a couple days later. Any blend you use is probably going to have a strain or two that tends to dominate. Same with dregs.

Back