Dragonfruit Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjsstranger

Reaction score
I am just getting started on trying to make a blonde with dragonfruit. I have never made a beer with real fruit before. I am not sure if even a blonde would be best for the pairing. any one have any ideas out there? I do not have fg capability so it must be extract recipe. Thanks for the help.

I just taped a wheat based Biere de Guard that had 1/2gal of home squeezed prickly pear juice added to secondary. The only special prep I did to the fruit was to sanitize it at 160f for 30 min.

I'm a big fan of Belgian style ales, so I would recommend a bit of wheat and a Belgian yeast the compliments the fruit, but that's just me :)

I thought about this a bit more. Dragon fruit and prickly pear are pretty damn similar.

A dead simple recipe would be:

6.60 lb Wheat Liquid Extract
1.00 oz Hallertauer (60 min)
Any liquid Belgian Wit yeast; White Labs #WLP400, Wyeast Labs #3944, etc.

Add a few lbs of dragon fruit puree, sanitized, to secondary. After 2 weeks in secondary, rack to tertiary or bottle/keg.

Add 1oz of coriander and/or orange peel at 5 min if you want to add some complimentary flavors.

That seems like that could work out well. I will put it in my beersmith recipes and play around a little. Thanks a lot for the help. Next step is to figure out where I can buy a couple of pounds of dragon fruit in Michigan.

Here is the recipe I made if you want any additional inspiration:

Opuntia de Garde

* Mini mash *
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0.50 lb Honey Malt
0.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)
0.50 lb White Wheat Malt

* Boil *
3.15 lb Pilsner Liquid Extract (60 min)
1.00 oz Tradition (60 min)
3.15 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (15 min)
1.00 lb Agavea Nectar (15 min)