Draft Tower Faucet Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottyBrew

Reaction score
I have recently switched to a Frosty Keg kegerator and have replace the faucet, elbow shank, and beer line. I'm using 3/16" ID line and started out the with 10ft.

I kegged an IPA that I dry hopped in the keg, and it poured out at an extremely low flow rate, like dribbling...

So I first assumed the line was too long, so I cut off 2 ft. Tried the pour again, same flow rate. I then cut another 2ft... same flow rate, cut 1ft... same flow rate.

I began to think that I had a clogged dip tube, or clog somewhere in the line, so I began to break the problem down into sections. I put a picnic faucet on and pulled a pint, which came out perfectly. So I concluded that there were no issues in the keg. This also made me assume that the CO2 tank/regulator being inside the kegerator was not the issue (freezing regulator).

So I next broke down the ball lock liquid disconnect, cleaned, sanitized and reassembled... Same issue.

Next I took apart the faucet, ventmatic, scrubbed, santized put back together... Same issue.

I then took a Beer Line Cleaning pump kit, filled with sanitizer and pumped into the shank assembly through the entire beer line, then reattached the faucet... Same issue. During this process quite a bit of cleaner was spewing out (giggity) the shank assembly right where the beer line cleaning kit attaches to the shank assembly. I assumed I was missing an o-ring and didn't too much of it... at the time...

Now I have ~5ft of 3/16 ID beer line and have swapped kegs, which I have rinsed the full line with hot water and hot sanitizer.

When I bump the pressure to 20psi, I get a normal pour out of the faucet.

What am I missing?

Should I be cutting more line, dropping to a total length of 4ft?

Do you guy think I still have a clog? I would hate to have to disassemble the tower to get at the elbow unless really necessary, but I am at a loss as to the problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated...

GO PATS!!!

I don't use corneys so I cant help you there but I can guarantee Cutting the line wont help.With the 10 ft you started with you should have gotten plenty of flow at say 10/12 psi.Once you figure out your issue you will most likely have foam issues with the 6 ft you have now amd will be going back to longer lines and balancing out your system which is a bit of trial and error...Unless of course you get flow control taps then 4 ft works just fine.

Forgot to mention...

38F with a temp controller, so it stays +/- 1F

11 PSI

Thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely check the disconnect.

UPDATE: Success!

I changed out the guts of the ball lock disconnect and flow is absolutely perfect. I'm guessing it was the valve and/or the spring.

I suspect I will have a slight foaming issue once I'm fully carbonated due to line length.

But thank you GilSwill, I've been struggling with this for a few weeks now.

Back