Doughing-In on Pumpkin Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tre9er

Reaction score
Took Reno_eNVy's punkin ale and had to tweak due to what's on hand. Using 8lbs Vienna, 8lbs Pale Ale, 3lbs C40 for a 9g batch.

Using perle and willamette for hops and WLP810 SF Steam Lager yeast (repitch, whole cake divided into two FVs, harvested Wednesday).

Overnight mashing at 158. Yeah beer.

Went well except for a leak in valve on MLT (had taken valve/bulkhead out for a camping trip and then rebuilt it for brewing again), so I had to empty strike back out and re-heat it, then I didn't heat it enough to compensate for the pumpkin (several pounds) going in and dropping temp. I added a gallon of boiling water and got to 153 on the edges and 157 in the center, then overnight mashed for 7 hours. Was between 142 and 150 in the morning. I'm using the SF steam yeast, so here's hoping it doesn't finish too low. I don't want a dry pumpkin beer.

Already bubbling 24 hours after pitching half a yeast cake in each FV (probably overpitched a bit). Will see how it tastes in a week when I expect it to be at FG.

Back