Doubling up batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kramberry20

Reaction score
I have been doing all grain for about a year now and want to double up my batches. I am in the process of welding up a keggle. My question is when doubling a recipe do all the mash Sparge and boil times remain the same. Do I just double the recipe and follow the same process? Any info is appreciated thanks

I was just recently looking into this and what I gathered from all of the threads on here is that any batch 10 gallons or less... you can just double the recipe. When you scale recipes your main concern is hop utilization, but you won't experience enough of a difference for 5-10 gallon batches. Mash/boil time remains the same and you will have to increase your sparge volume accordingly.

I have recipes that I have brewed multiple times at both 5 and 10 gallon volumes. I just double, or half, the entire recipe with no noticeable difference.

I only do 10 gal batches.
The best part is that you are getting twice the brew per production hour, and when the first awesome keg kicks, a second one is ready to tap!

Back