Double yeast pack question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaps

Reaction score
I’m brewing a higher gravity beer that calls for a double starter. But since I’m using dry yeast I figured I would just use two yeast packs. Should I put them in at the same time or use them separately with a few days in between? Both methods make some sense.

Thanks,
Chaps

Are you adding directly to your brew or making a starter? If just adding add both at once.

If making a starter, use one then grow your starter to your calculated pitch size. Save the second pack for later use.

Are you adding directly to your brew or making a starter? If just adding add both at once.

If making a starter, use one then grow your starter to your calculated pitch size. Save the second pack for later use.

Can/should you make a starter from dry yeast? Usually the package says to just dump it in without rehydrating. But short answer is no i'm not making a starter as i dont have the equipment to make a starter.

Chaps

Can/should you make a starter from dry yeast?
Depends on who you ask.
If you can make a starter, grow up one pack and pitch. Otherwise pitch 2 packs.

Direct pitch or rehydrate? Again, Depends on who you ask.

Personally, if using a narrow neck carboy, I would rehydrate and add through a funnel. If using a bucket or other widemouth fermenter, then I would direct pitch.

You can make a starter - though the makers typically say you don't need to for most beers, and it depends if it's a 5-gram pack or 11-grams.
I would definitely rehydrate the yeast, use warm water. (I've done it in chilled wort and it worked very well, but everything I've read since says not to do that...)
Also it depends on how high a gravity the beer is. I think rule of thumb is under about 1.070 you should be fine with 1 pack (11g.)

Okay last question as part of this. Part of the decision was somewhat made for me due to some circumstances. I pitched one pack on Monday but now im wondering whether I should open the fermentor and pitch the other pack or just leave it alone. So far it seems to be chugging along fine. Ive got the freezer set to 65F so that it has a bit of a slow start and will then slowly bring it up to 72ish over the next two weeks.

Yeast is S-05 and the beer has an OG of 1.075 and is certainly the largest beer i've intentionally brewed. Originally the name was "Kraken Good Pumpkin Ale" but i'm considering renaming it "Big Boi Pumpkin"

Thanks for any thoughts,
Chaps

Back