Imperial Stout Double-W Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this in February and it has been bulk aging in a car boy since (8 months so far). How long should I let it go? I was planning maybe just after Xmas but I'm getting antsy!!

From reading the comments, sounds like it can be done but just want to make sure. Can this be done with a 10 gallon cooler MLT? What's the max water:grain ratio for that size cooler with this much grain? 1.1:1, qts:lbs of grain?

Anyone ever stuck this in a barrel to age it?
Plan on doing this later this year! Gonna brew up a slightly modified version (may drop the rye and add a touch more caramunich), and then do as a first run on my rye whiskey/maple syrup barrel.

Plan on doing this later this year! Gonna brew up a slightly modified version (may drop the rye and add a touch more caramunich), and then do as a first run on my rye whiskey/maple syrup barrel.

Would love to hear how it comes out! Mine's been bottled for a while. I ended up putting it in my FEW Spirits Whiskey Barrel and then put it on 5 whole grade A madagascar vanilla beans and 8oz of cacao nibs. It's only been bottled for about 4 months now and it just keeps getting better.

Recipe: Double-W Imperial Stout
Estimated OG: 1.124 SG??? something is not right here..... seems low.
Actual OG = 1.113... the estimated OG seems low.

I'm not understanding this... I assume the OP mean seems high for the estimated OG?

I plugged this into Beersmith and it's estimating 1.111 for the OG. Pretty close to his actual.

What I don't get is it's estimated FG of 1.038? That seems pretty high to me... Seems most people are finishing quite a bit lower than that!

I've been scouring different forums for an imperial porter or stout and may end up making this again. I'm bottling an Amber this weeke d and will likely just dump whatever I go with on the yeast cake. The one time I made this, a few years ago, I think it was missing some of the roast I was looking for. I'm looking for something that has what some might call harshness in the roast. If you've had Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald porter, that's kind of what I'm looking for.

How does this beer compare to ten Fidy (one of my favorites)? What about Stone RIS? Yeti?

I'm not asking which one is better, but how do they compare taste wise, mouthfeel, etc? More on the roasty side? Sweet and caramely? Spicey from the Rye or fruity from the Special B?

I might brew this in the future but am curious how it compares to others I've tried. It looks awesome and it has definitely piqued my interest.

Sorry I can't help there. I never actually buy beer.

Done right, this is a roasty treat, coffee and chocolate notes. Depending on yeast, can be dry or not.

How does this beer compare to ten Fidy (one of my favorites)? What about Stone RIS? Yeti?

I'm not asking which one is better, but how do they compare taste wise, mouthfeel, etc? More on the roasty side? Sweet and caramely? Spicey from the Rye or fruity from the Special B?

I might brew this in the future but am curious how it compares to others I've tried. It looks awesome and it has definitely piqued my interest.
It's been a few years since I've brewed this and I tinkered a little when I did. But, from notes this is a tasty brew I wish I hadn't tinkered with, it was great in the fermenter, the additions I made I feel weren't good.

As far as comparing to Ten Fidy or Stone RIS...
Ten Gift I feel is fuller than Stone, Stone tens to have a more carbonation that other breweries, except with Xcoveza Stout, making this allows you to control the carbonation though. I think this recipe is more similar to Ten Fidy than Stone, but if you like either you'll like this. This might have a little more roast to if that Ten Fidy, bit for my taste I like that, if you age it that will fade.

I have all the grains for this but running low on Willamette.
Warrior is not really a popular hop here in Europe so I will use Nugget, Magnum or Target for the bittering charge.
Any suggestions for replacing Willamette?
I have Fuggles, Northern Brewer, First gold, Bramling X, Brewer's Gold and EKG.

Thanks. :mug:

Willamette is a triploid Fuggles - the extra set of chromosomes makes a small difference, the fact that it is typically grown in much sunnier conditions makes more of a difference. So if you were being purist about it, Savinjski Goldings is probably the closest European match.

In the real world, imperial stout is a British style where the hops play second fiddle to the malt and alcohol. So anything British will be fine - although personally I'd save the prize varieties like EKG and BX for a beer where they can shine.

Willamette is a triploid Fuggles - the extra set of chromosomes makes a small difference, the fact that it is typically grown in much sunnier conditions makes more of a difference. So if you were being purist about it, Savinjski Goldings is probably the closest European match.

In the real world, imperial stout is a British style where the hops play second fiddle to the malt and alcohol. So anything British will be fine - although personally I'd save the prize varieties like EKG and BX for a beer where they can shine.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I think I'll go for Fuggles.
whenever I get around to it :)

It's been a few years since I've brewed this and I tinkered a little when I did. But, from notes this is a tasty brew I wish I hadn't tinkered with, it was great in the fermenter, the additions I made I feel weren't good.

As far as comparing to Ten Fidy or Stone RIS...
Ten Gift I feel is fuller than Stone, Stone tens to have a more carbonation that other breweries, except with Xcoveza Stout, making this allows you to control the carbonation though. I think this recipe is more similar to Ten Fidy than Stone, but if you like either you'll like this. This might have a little more roast to if that Ten Fidy, bit for my taste I like that, if you age it that will fade.
Thanks for the response, I appreciate the info. After looking at the grainbill, I kind of figured it would be as you described. Definitely on my short list of beers to try.

Back