Double sparge water volume question. Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkInBuffalo

Reaction score
Hey guys, putting my new tun to the test tomorrow with an Imperial IPA. 6 gallon batch, 7 gallon boil (low evap. rate). I'm using 22 total pounds of grain in my ten gallon rubbermaid mash tun. My question has to do with mash-sparge water volume ratio if I'm going to batch sparge twice in order increase efficiency. Brewsmith is telling me that I need about 12 total gallons of water. What would be my best volume ratio in your opinion? 4 gallons to mash, and then 4 for each sparge? Thanks in advance.

if you want to keep 1.25gt/lb ratio so you need around 7gal to mash, then you have 5 left so i would do 3 gal for 1st starge and 2 for 2nd

Not to go off topic, but that means you're final gravity is aimed at 1.026? Honestly, I'd seriously look to revise your recipe if you're truly aiming for an IIPA (which, should be targeting around 1.070-1.080 and trying to finish below 1.020, and ideally below 1.015).

What's your recipe look like?

6 gal batch. 7 gal boil.
1056 Wyeast smack pack

20# 2 row
1# Crystal 40
1# Victory
1/2# Carapils
1/4# flaked wheat

Hip schedule pending

Guessing I should cut back on 2 row.

6 gal batch. 7 gal boil.
1056 Wyeast smack pack

20# 2 row
1# Crystal 40
1# Victory
1/2# Carapils
1/4# flaked wheat

Hip schedule pending

Guessing I should cut back on 2 row.

we dont know the efficiency of your system but with this grain bill you should be around 60% to get OG in 1.080 range, if thats correct then leave grains as it is. Mash with 7gal, use 5more for sparging (3+2 if u wish) and add 6-10oz of hops to get dipa, remember that u can add some sugar (1lb sounds good) to dipa to dry it out a bit, and u can add it later in the fermenter

we dont know the efficiency of your system but with this grain bill you should be around 60% to get OG in 1.080 range, if thats correct then leave grains as it is. Mash with 7gal, use 5more for sparging (3+2 if u wish) and add 6-10oz of hops to get dipa, remember that u can add some sugar (1lb sounds good) to dipa to dry it out a bit, and u can add it later in the fermenter

Good point about the efficiency.

But you can't just add sugar to a beer and expect it to dry out. You need to substitute the sugar for some of the malt.

Thanks. Lowered my 2 row to 18# to keep my OG in style. Made big starter. Decided against double sparge and I will instead mash with 5.75 gal and do one sparge with the same volume.

Good point about the efficiency.

But you can't just add sugar to a beer and expect it to dry out. You need to substitute the sugar for some of the malt.

Agree 100%, i was just vaguely suggesting possible modification to the whole recipe as its not uncommon to add sugar to DIPA

If you want it to dry out and have a much better chance of getting to a final gravity below 1.015, mash low (147-149 seems to work for me) in addition to adding some sugar. For that size grain bill,I would definitely substitute and add at least 1-1.25 lbs of corn sugar, table sugar, brewers crystals, etc. as they will increase the ABV without affecting the malt profile. Coupled with the lower mash temp, and you should get where you want to go.

You also don't mention which yeast you are using, that will also make a difference in how far the yeast attenuate. I would go with US-05 or WLP001, or better yet, the White Labs San Diego super yeast if you can find it.

Back