Double IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrHadack

Crafty
Reaction score
My IPAs have always been lacking-- mostly in the flavor department. I'm working on getting the late hop additions just right for good flavor and aroma. This is what I have come up with:

5 Gallon Batch:

13 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs 8.0 oz Amber Malt (22.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Mosaic [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.00 oz Mosaic [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool
1.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool
1.00 oz Mosaic [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool

1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)
Mash 150F

Works out to be just under 100 IBU without any real "bittering" addition.

Any suggestions / comments?

EDIT: I changed the above recipe from how it was initially posted-- I substituted SIMCOE instead of the priginal choice of Citra. I wanted the hops to have some more earthy / pine notes as well as the fruit notes, and I think Citra might have been overpowering with its fruit notes for this purpose.

An actual bittering addition (the sort usually boiled for 60 minutes or so) isn't really necessary especially in a "hop bursted" IPA/IIPA recipe like this, so you may be fine for bitterness, HOWEVER what you may consider too is how quickly you can cool your beer. I too have been trying to get more flavor and aroma in my hoppy beers - I just brewed a IIPA yesterday that I tossed 1 1/2 oz of Calypso (17% AA) into for 60 minutes, with 2 oz of Belma and 1 oz of Citra at 5 minutes. THEN I cooled it down to about 180 or so and added 5 more oz of hops (Chinook, Citra, Mosaic) for a hop steep/whirlpool. Cooled a bit further and then transferred to primary with a temp in the 80-90 degree range through 1 1/2 oz more hops in a hopback.

You may be satisfied with your results, I have no way to really predict, however unless you have a way to quickly bring temps down after the boil, the 6 oz of hops in the boil may only provide bittering and not give you the flavor you're after. And depending on how long temps remain in the 200+/- range you're probably going to continue losing, especially aroma, after in the whirlpool.

If you're using a counterflow wort chiller you'll probably be ok as long as you get it going almost immediately and recirculate to the kettle with your whirlpool hops.

I think it will be a good beer with the addition of a bittering charge. Maybe some Simcoe or Apollo @ 60 min. Other than that, a good 30-45 min whirlpool will add a good amount of flavor.

On a side note, do you plan on stepping up your yeast count or just plan on pitching one vial of 001? If doing the latter, you could end up stressing the yeast and produce some off flavors that would take away from the desired hop flavor profile you are shooting for. Just a suggestion though.

I would vote for a real bittering charge. 60 or 90 minute addition. The late hops looks great but you'll need to balance that juicy with some bitter backbone. I find 50 "calculated" IBU to be a good starting point. Maybe just use extract.

I would drop the mash temp several degrees. 147-148 is better. Try to get that down to 1.010 +- and you'll see the hop character a lot better. Don't worry about "balancing the hops with malt." You'll have plenty of alcohol to help with that. 1.075 OG and 1.010FG makes a great DIPA.

What are you going to do about a dry hop?

An actual bittering addition (the sort usually boiled for 60 minutes or so) isn't really necessary especially in a "hop bursted" IPA/IIPA recipe like this, so you may be fine for bitterness, HOWEVER what you may consider too is how quickly you can cool your beer. I too have been trying to get more flavor and aroma in my hoppy beers - I just brewed a IIPA yesterday that I tossed 1 1/2 oz of Calypso (17% AA) into for 60 minutes, with 2 oz of Belma and 1 oz of Citra at 5 minutes. THEN I cooled it down to about 180 or so and added 5 more oz of hops (Chinook, Citra, Mosaic) for a hop steep/whirlpool. Cooled a bit further and then transferred to primary with a temp in the 80-90 degree range through 1 1/2 oz more hops in a hopback.

You may be satisfied with your results, I have no way to really predict, however unless you have a way to quickly bring temps down after the boil, the 6 oz of hops in the boil may only provide bittering and not give you the flavor you're after. And depending on how long temps remain in the 200+/- range you're probably going to continue losing, especially aroma, after in the whirlpool.

If you're using a counterflow wort chiller you'll probably be ok as long as you get it going almost immediately and recirculate to the kettle with your whirlpool hops.

The problem I've experienced w all late hops is that the initial wonderful hoppiness fades very quickly, if you can drink it in a week or so, no problem. I have a BOS/gold medal IIPA that uses 4 oz of hops @ 90 min., and a pound of hops total.

Back