Double IPA - Propagator question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyrocyz

Reaction score
So my wife surprised me with a kit for a double IPA and with it came a propagator pack for Wyeast 1056 American Ale.

I plan on making a 1L starter for it. Should I propagate the yeast twice or will a single propagation be sufficient. The starting gravity should be around 1.072

Any useful tips about propagation would be appreciated as well.

are you using a stir plate? if not, you'll need a bigger starter than 1L. if you will be around it to shake it up every once in a while, Mr. Malty says to go about 2L. one propagation should be fine. propagating twice is more for enormous lager starters that can't fit in the confines of a 'normal' growler or whatever you are using to make the starter with. i guess if you only have a 1L vessel for doing a starter, you might want to consider 2 props, but you can find an old wine jug or growler from olde main or apple juice container or something that will fit 2-4L. good to see other amesians on here!

I have access to a stir plate...if I use that I would be able to use a 1L starter in a flask?

You are talking about the package with approx 25 billion cells, right?

According to mrmalty you will need approx. 250 billion cells to ferment 5 gallons. I think you will need to step this one up a couple of times to get to that number.

You are talking about the package with approx 25 billion cells, right?

According to mrmalty you will need approx. 250 billion cells to ferment 5 gallons. I think you will need to step this one up a couple of times to get to that number.

So whats the basic procedure for stepping up my yeast. I have never propagated my own yeast.

So whats the basic procedure for stepping up my yeast. I have never propagated my own yeast.

Maybe someone who has done a few step-ups for a starter could chime in here. I have never stepped one up before as I tend to just purchase more yeast packs if I need more yeast and just do a regular starter.

Make a on liter starter, let it go for a day, then take it off the pate and settle out overnight. Decant the liquid off the yeast and add another one or two liters on top of the yeast, let it go for another day.

10x is okay to do in one step.

That seems like a lot of growth out of one step up. Rule of thumb is you will double 125 billion to 250 billion with a 1000ml stir plated for 24 hours or 2000ml with shaking. I don't have any experience working with the 25 billion cell packs, but it seems like you would need at least two steps to get to 250 billion.

Back