Double fermentation all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbo007

Reaction score
Hi all,
Done a few all grain brews and all seems to be working now. Just wondering how to do a double fermentation all grain brew? I've read some of the famous Belgium Trappist ales are double and triple fermented.

Do I just add a second lot of yeast to the fermentation tank after the first fermentation process is over? Or after I get my gravity reading down to 1012?

Thanks,
Rob

I normally ferment in my tank then bottle to carbonate. Is this what you mean?

Yes. Adding sugar during bottling results in another fermentation (which is what carbonates it). Sometimes places use other yeasts such as champagne, wine, Brett, etc to do this also.

Yes.

Keep in mind though, that a lot of them may use different yeasts. For instance, I may ferment with a Belgian Abbey, then ferment more with the Roselare bug blend, then bottle with Champagne yeast.

So you would use three different yeasts in the first fermentation process? How long would this entire 3 yeast fermentation go for? My IPA normally takes 3-4weeks.

How do you know when to add the next yeast?

So you would use three different yeasts in the first fermentation process? How long would this entire 3 yeast fermentation go for? My IPA normally takes 3-4weeks.

How do you know when to add the next yeast?

Keep in mind skeezer is talking about advanced styles of beers here - like a lambic or flanders red. You're not going to do this on an IPA. Adding the different yeasts are done for a specific purpose - for example the Roselare blend adds souring organisms to make a sour beer, then takes 18 months or more to age. The champagne yeast might be used in a high alcohol content beer, and/or one that has been aging a long time, in order to get it to carbonate properly. You don't want to just go throwing a bunch of different yeasts at a beer without some goal in mind.

Latest posts

Back