Double Check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannPM

Reaction score
So this is my first brew day in about 3 years. I used to do AG, but got rid of all my stuff (disarray, suboptimal,infected plastic, etc.)

I ordered (for extract brewing: )

5 Gallon Kettle (have spoon to stir, for partial boil)

Funnel with filter (to pour the wort into the fermenter)

Sanitizer.

Big mouth ported 6.5 Gal fermenter with airlock and drilled bung (for fermentation and bottling)

self capping style 1L bottles (24 of them)

+ a Chinook IPA kit from NB with 1 ounce extra simcoe hops (has carbonation drops included)

I think I have my bases are covered for brew day but it's been a while. Does this look right to you all?

Are you planning on using your ported Big Mouth Bubbler as the fermentor and the bottling bucket? Are you going to use the carbonation drops, or bulk priming in the carboy?

Are you planning on using your ported Big Mouth Bubbler as the fermentor and the bottling bucket? Are you going to use the carbonation drops, or bulk priming in the carboy?

I will be bottling directly from the primary. Carb drops are dosed per bottle and then filled from the primary spigot.

Trying to keep it as minimal, quick, and efficient as possible for the time being.

I will be bottling directly from the primary. Carb drops are dosed per bottle and then filled from the primary spigot.

Trying to keep it as minimal, quick, and efficient as possible for the time being.

Make sure to get a small length of hose and a bottle wand for filling the bottles. Hook the hose up to the spigot and the wand at the other end of the hose. If you fill straight from the spigot it fills from top down and will oxidize the crap out of your beer..that happened to me my first couple batches. Then I realized I needed to use the bottling wand (which fills from the bottom up) and this does not oxidize the beer.

Make sure to get a small length of hose and a bottle wand for filling the bottles. Hook the hose up to the spigot and the wand at the other end of the hose. If you fill straight from the spigot it fills from top down and will oxidize the crap out of your beer..that happened to me my first couple batches. Then I realized I needed to use the bottling wand (which fills from the bottom up) and this does not oxidize the beer.

Just bought one of these today with some tubing. Thanks man. I only had kegs before when I stopped, never thought of reducing oxidation during bottle filling.

Back