Dos xx

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnfoxall

Reaction score
Have a friend that is wanting to get into home brewing and we are looking for a dos xx clone or maybe even just some type of a Mexican style beer to make. Does anyone know of any ?
Thanks in advance.

shawnfoxall said:
Have a friend that is wanting to get into home brewing and we are looking for a dos xx clone or maybe even just some type of a Mexican style beer to make. Does anyone know of any ?
Thanks in advance.

Austinhomebrew.com has two types of dos Equis kits along with other Mexican beer kits.

I just brewed a Vienna Lager kit from Brewers Best, and from what I've been reading Dos XX, and other Mexican beers are actually Vienna Lagers. It's my first try at lagering, so we'll see how it turns out. If you can't lager, the instructions do say that the yeast could be used for an ale also.

Shawnfoxall, you should realize that Dos Equis is a beer that requires pretty precise temperature control and lagering. Do you have a means of temperature control? It really needs to be lagered at a pretty consistent 48-50F for about 2 weeks, then lagered at a consistent 34-36F for 4-8 weeks.

If you can't control the temps, this one will still be a drinkable beer, but it won't taste like a Dos Equis.

Fair warning, just want you to set your expectations appropriately!

Good luck!

Thanks topher. No he doesn't have any of the equipment to keep it at temp. This will be his first batch of beer to make and that is his favorite style beer so he was wanting to try and see what happened. I am a dark beer guy so I had no clue how to brew this style. Just wanted to get some advise from the experts. Thanks for you help I will let him know at work tonight. Maybe I can convert him into a pale ale.

IPAs, APAs, Browns, Ambers, Reds, Stouts, Porters, and Wheats are all really easy, very forgiving styles that are good for new brewers.

I would steer you away from the Dos Equis. In addition to the temperature concerns, anything with a lighter body like that will also show any off flavors and minor mistakes that would be masked by a style with a bit more body. Your first brew isn't going to be perfect, so the last thing you want is a lighter style that highlights all of the imperfections.

Go to Austin Homebrew, Midwest Brew Supply, or Northern Brewer and check out all of their kits. These are all high-volume online stores that have really fresh ingredients and customer reviews of most of the recipes. Get a recipe in one of the styles above that has good customer reviews and you really can't go wrong! If you want to get ingredients from your local homebrew shop, you can still visit Northern Brewer and they post their kit ingredients online for you to print out, so you can still find a great recipe with good instructions.

Good luck!

Back