dortmunder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpalmer521

Reaction score
I'm doing a partial extract dortmunder with og @ 1.070. I'm not using a secondary ( don't have one yet) it bubbled for 5 or 5 days. Do I now just leave it in my unopened bucketd until day 21 and then just bottle it?

The first question is if you used a true lager yeast. The answer to your question depends on that.

PS: Spent 4 years in Indiana, PA... went to IUP.:)

The yeast was SAF Lager S-23 Yeast. and my temperature in my bucket is 42 -44 degrees F. I also graduated from iup, in safety science. Ive got 1 ale (american wheat) finished. 3 kinds bottled and ready to drink, 2 kinds carbing and this dort. It is my first attempt at a lager. I appriciate the help. Also do you know anything about "Pliney the Elder" , im thinking of trying this next.

Should ferment in the low to mid 50's for at least 2weeks,take a gravity reading,if done fermenting then lager it Between 32-40 for at least 4 weeks..........There is Pliney the Elder clones on this site.Do a search !

The yeast was SAF Lager S-23 Yeast. and my temperature in my bucket is 42 -44 degrees F. I also graduated from iup, in safety science. Ive got 1 ale (american wheat) finished. 3 kinds bottled and ready to drink, 2 kinds carbing and this dort. It is my first attempt at a lager. I appriciate the help. Also do you know anything about "Pliney the Elder" , im thinking of trying this next.

Did you take a gravity reading? 42-44°F is a low temp for a lager... probably near the bottom end of what most lager yeasts will even ferment. If you don't have a secondary vessel, you can bottle-lager it, but bulk lagering is more ideal.

In any case, you want to make sure it's done fermenting and reached its FG before lagering/bottling. If you lager in the bottles, I think most bottle-lagerers let it carb first (~50°F or higher), then lager it (~33°F). A 1.070 lager is going to need to lager for a fairly long time, like 8 weeks.

[Safety science? I was Env. Health and took 3 safety courses... we probably had some of the same classes and profs.]

Im at 42 degrees, bubbled for about 4 or 5 days. If i bring the temp up to 50 or so will it start to bubble some more? also should i be concerned about opening up the lid and letting in air to take my hydrometer reading. Also what year did you graduade in environmental?

whoops my temp is 54-56 degrees. dont know what i was looking at. I made my wort on march 8th and i just looked and i am still bubbling. ( one bubble every 1min 30 seconds.) Can i just leave the lid on so as to not let in air after it quits bubbling and stick it in the fridge to lager?

Fermentation might be winding down if it was in the mid 50s°F. But you can't just go by bubbles in the airlock. Beer will off-gas some CO2 after fermentation is complete and keep the airlock bubbling. You really need to take a hydrometer reading.

You would risk some off-flavors by lagering in your primary fermenter. It's best to get lagers off the yeast soon after primary fermentation is done (decaying yeast cells and trub can cause off-flavors in lagers). Also, it sounds like you have a bucket for a primary fermenter. Supposedly, they are permeable enough to oxidize the beer over long periods.

I would just check the gravity and, if it's done, bottle it, let it carb for a couple weeks, then lager it in the bottles for like 8 weeks before drinking... or go get a 5 gallon Better Bottle or glass carboy and lager in that, then bottle.

[Graduated in '99, but went to college 4 years "late" after 4 years in the Marines.]

Latest posts

Back