Doritos Flavored Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well. The good news is, you won't have to drink it!

Actually the one concern I have is greasing up all my equipment. Is PBW effective against removing any residual oil I might have in my mash tun/Aluminum Kettle/Fermenters?

I am very careful never to involve soap with anything that touches my beer so the idea of using greasy Doritos is a little worrisome.

If I make a small batch though I can just use a different pot and ferment in a little bucket.

Brewed this beer this weekend. 2.5 gallon batch with 3# 2 row and 1.5# Crushed Cool ranch Doritos mashed at 148 for 90 minutes. Skimmed all of the grease off of the top of the wort in the kettle prior to boiling. The smell was amazing and as of this morning it was fermenting. PBW and hot water does a great job of cleaning the grease from your equipment, absolutely no residual Dorito smell in my mash tun cooler after cleaning. I will post once bottled and carved if this turns out.

Oh yes. This again. So my recipe was 3# pounds pale malt, 1.25# cool ranch doritos. 2.5 oz acid, 1.8oz carapils. .39 oz liberty FWH.

The batch size was 2.25 gallons. Should have left the acid malt out as my pH was about .2 lower than I was aiming for.

I pitched a whole packet of rehydrated us-05. Thinking all the crap in the doritos might stress the yeast bit.

I left it for 3 weeks before bottling. Looks like I forgot to record fg but I think it was higher than I expected. OG was 1.046, I think fg was 1.015? Will have to check again later.

When I bottled there was thus nasty sludge on top that I had to rack below. Tasted kind of green with not very much doritos flavor coming through. It is carbing now.

54888994.jpg

Enough said. *shudder*

Just use MSG. That's like 90% of the cool ranch flavor in Dorritos anyway.

Makes me wonder though would yeast metabolize the glutamate?

Bottled today, tasted like a cream ale with an aftertaste of Cool Ranch Doritos. Not overpowering at all, actually rather enjoyable.

Something about this is...cringe worthy. Id love to try a bottle for pure curiousity sake

Well my first beer of this was not that bad. It needs to carb a little more, it's a little chilly in my house so is taking longer I guess.

I'm letting it take its time but will post a pic at some point.

The one I had, although a tad undercarbed was really not that over the top with anything. It's quite light and refreshing and the liberty hops are very nice in it. The doritos is very subtle. I get more of a corn and a saltiness then the cool ranch flavor.

Well my first beer of this was not that bad. It needs to carb a little more, it's a little chilly in my house so is taking longer I guess.

I'm letting it take its time but will post a pic at some point.

The one I had, although a tad undercarbed was really not that over the top with anything. It's quite light and refreshing and the liberty hops are very nice in it. The Doritos is very subtle. I get more of a corn and a saltiness then the cool ranch flavor.

You didn’t just finish off the left over Bud light that was on the coffee table with the back washed Doritos in it! From last night?;)

Opened one of mine tonight, very nicely carbonated as well as crisp and refreshing. It definitely has a Cream Ale backbone with just a hint of Doritos.

Not at all a waste of good beer.

you might try racking onto a tbsp of the dried cheese pack from a mac and cheese box to boost that doritos' cheese flavor.

Hmmm, I love eating Doritos while drinking beer. Why not just eat Doritos while you are drinking regular beer? Inquiring minds want to know! :mug:

I say why not try something different. I don't know that I will make the beer with Doritos again (quite messy) but I may try to get the same flavor using more beer friendly ingredients.

Based on curiosity from the Experimental Brewing episode I made one of these too (about 1/3 Cool Ranch Doritos, 1/3 Pils and 1/3 2-Row with a little Cascade). Here are my observations:

1) Flavor-wise this is WAY more appealing/compatible with beer than I would have imagined (though still totally weird).

2) Using some of the herbs/spices from the Cool Ranch Doritos without the chips themselves would probably be better (the oil is gross, though you can manage to rack below it and minimize pickup)

3) At 33% of the grist (by weight) the Cool Ranch flavor is WAY too intense for my taste (e.g. it's interesting a few ounces at a time, but you'd never want a full pint).

I'm curious to try this again based on those observations. Not sure when I'll get around to it, but wanted to post this in case anyone else is moving along the same lines.

Way to keep it weird everyone!

:mug:

BS

I brewed a Cool Ranch Pilsner last year. It actually turned out really good. The flavor was subtle, but you could taste the chips if you knew to look for it. Most people said it passed as a good light lager, but the Doritos made it unique/interesting. The recipe was:

1.75 gallon
Estimated OG: 1.043
Actual OG: 1.045
FG: 1.011
ABV: 4.45%
IBU: 31

1lb crunched up Cool Ranch chips
2lb Pilsen (I think I used Breiss)
.1lb Carapils
.1lb Melanoiden

Mashed at 152F

30 minute boil

1oz Saaz @ 30
.5oz Saaz @ 15
.5oz Saaz @ FO and steeped while cooling in the sink (which is slow)

pitched probably 3/4 of a saflager 34/70 packet when the beer was done chilling (about 70F). Then stuck the fermenter in my chamber set to 55F. Fermentation was very vigorous then slowed down after 4 days, which is when I brought the fermenter out of the chamber to room temp. I let it sit there for about 10 days, then cold crashed the beer and lagered for about a month (mostly due to laziness).

I took a few pictures of the fermentation and final product, but I can't find them on my phone. I think I deleted them to free up space. The fermenter looked really nasty, I think it had a fat layer from the chips. I was careful to rack from below the fat and not to get any in the bottling bucket. All of the bottles looked great, no noticeable fat layer in them.

Next up is a Flaming Hot Cheeto Pilsner :D

So bsent. I totally heard them read your report about this on the podcast!

And salty please update when you do the flaming hot cheetos one.

For me, I made mine a while back. I waited two month's as the bottles were slow to carb in my cool house.

Finally cracked one tonight after a two months bottle conditioning and a week in the fridge.

I have to say it's very enjoyable. The cool ranch is somewhat subtle. Overall it's a spritely and refreshing brew! And has exceeded my expectations.

Funny I also used about 33% and I don't find it overwhelming at all. I wonder if that is a difference in tastes or difference in recipes/process.

I think part of what is helping with this beer is, I just did a really good job making it. And it sounds silly, but it has a bit of a belgiany aroma and taste even though it is fermented with us05. I think the doritos is the culprit.

I'll post a pic when I get around to taking one. I gotta get a bag of doritos to garnish the next one.

And I remember on the podcast they recommend some carapils to help with the head. I though yea right! No amount of carapils is gonna help with the head. I added some but I knew damn well it wasn't gonna make a difference.

A few thoughts about replies I have seen (paraphrased)...

"ugh, that sounds like a gross beer"
-Maybe, but most beers that are a style you don't like are gross to you. I'd sooner try a Doritos beer than I would a dunkel. Plus, probably every new thing was thought of as gross before it was tried (Maple Bacon Porter probably would've sounded gross to people 10 years ago. Or heck, the first time I learned about how Belgian Beers are often made with all the spiderwebs and open fermentation.. Well, you get the point

"I love experimenting but this sounds gross"
-Maybe you don't love experimenting as much as you think. Maybe you love experimenting within closely drawn borders of what is already accepted.

"I miss when beer was beer"
-My pet peeve is when people say this about NEIPAs or strange beers. What arbitrary year was beer "real beer" to you? Is beer before hops (the original way it was made) real beer? Or is it not real beer because someone tossed in a strange ingredient that was looked down upon at the time by many (Hops) Or what countries style is real beer to you? Many people say they don't like NEIPAs because they are too fruity to be real beer, these people must not think Belgium makes beer. Beer has a very fluid (no pun intended..maybe) definition, to stake your claim and say that only the beer you like made in the way you approve of is real beer. Thousands of years of history will make that claim look a bit silly.

I will say this beer didn’t do well at a competition this summer. Entered in experimental category and comments were spot on to BJCP guidelines but both judges didn’t like the taste so a beer with no flaws listed scored a 21.

Probably shouldn’t have been judging experimental beers.

Back